Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Troubles with CVA rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Troubles with CVA rifle

I'm having difficulties with my CVA muzzleloader. It's a CVA Kodiak .50cal. I honestly can't get it to hold 6-8" groups at 100 yards. Shooting 250gr T.C. Shockwave sabot bullets with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets. I cleaned it about every 4-5 shots, but it seems to be the same- clean or dirty. Is it just me, or can I be doing something wrong?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Troubles with CVA rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedel1777 View Post
I'm having difficulties with my CVA muzzleloader. It's a CVA Kodiak .50cal. I honestly can't get it to hold 6-8" groups at 100 yards. Shooting 250gr T.C. Shockwave sabot bullets with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets. I cleaned it about every 4-5 shots, but it seems to be the same- clean or dirty. Is it just me, or can I be doing something wrong?
Clean after each shot, T7 is filthy and needs to be cleaned between each and every shot.

Primers will make a big difference. Winchester W209 - Winchester 777 are both good primers to use with t7.

Dump the shockwaves, they are junk.

Order some 260gr harvester scorpion PT Golds and use the harvester smooth sabot. Both are readily available online at harvester bullets and the bullets are not expensive.

How old are you pellets?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
Clean after each shot, T7 is filthy and needs to be cleaned between each and every shot.

Primers will make a big difference. Winchester W209 - Winchester 777 are both good primers to use with t7.

Dump the shockwaves, they are junk.

Order some 260gr harvester scorpion PT Golds and use the harvester smooth sabot. Both are readily available online at harvester bullets and the bullets are not expensive.

How old are you pellets?
I'll probably try to shoot some groups with cleaning after every shot.

I'm using new CCI primers.

The shockwaves were about my only option to use 3 days before my hunt. Living in a town without much selection. Wal Mart only had Shockwaves in stock.... I definitely going to look into something different.

My pellets were from an unopened box that somebody gave to me- about 6 years ago. I never even thought about the age of the powder. But, it makes perfect sense.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Another option would be to get some smaller sized sabots. My old cva Apollo had a tight bore and would throw saboted bullets everywhere. How are they loading in you gun?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

wow those pellets are WAAAAY to old! They normally last a year or 2, they suck up moisture pretty good because they are not in a sealed can like loose powder is.

Get some new powder and some winchester w209 primers.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I was lucky enough to get a good shot on a nice 130" 10 pt Oklahoma whitetail, so I think it's back to bow & rifle for the time being. Once the seasons are over, I'll do some playing and report back with what I find out.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Is it scoped? Loose rings? My Kodiak gave me fit's when new, all over the place, especially with new 777 pellets. Clean it real good, get some Montana bore conditioner, only takes a couple passes, try some loose powder, .300 Deep Curl .45 bullet in a MMP black sabot, and CCi magnum 209 primer. Worked well for me. I use Blackhorn 209 powder but you'll need a different breech plug for that powder.