Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

Something to consider with the tmz to give another option. It's not like it's all that expensive to try the crush rib either. It would be nice to once again get those groups that measure .54" at 100 yds. That's something that makes you feel good
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM

First post on this forum, you guys all have good ideas.It's nice to have somewhere to learn this stuff, trial and error takes a long time. My pro hunter shoots good, moa. Mike and Kurt Bellm have good info and good parts, have helped my gun a lot. Oversize hinge pin and better springs , trigger down to 2.5 intead of 5.5lbs. Spin jag is awsome as are the harvester sabots, still trying to get the bh209 dialed in, I'll try weighing the charges , cant hurt.Thanks for the info . Chris
Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Lotsa ways to skin that cat here.

I have a lowly black diamond stainless and I got my first kill this year with it.
I use a 300 gr sst in old style hdy sabot
110gr/volume fff 777
rws musket cap-- played with 209's-- not in this one
fiber optic factory sights

When I had a 1x tc "scope" on it I stopped load developement when I got to 5 shot 1.5" grouping at 100 yards. that was with BOTH ff AND fff powders in the same group. My gun doesn't care as long as the powder charge and seating pressure are similar.
My brother and father are using the powerbelt in their encore(older 26") and are sub 2 moa with 777 and a 209. I don't know load specifics, but those are the basic components. Thedy use fiber sights too as ND doesn't allow scopes on muzzys.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Lotsa ways to skin that cat here.

My brother and father are using the powerbelt in their encore.........

Oh my God! Powerbelts out of an Encore? That's breaking the 11th commandment and the First when it comes to muzzleloader projectiles in modern in-lines, especially the Encore platform rifles.

I get a handful of different monthly magazines, most of which the subscription price is extremely cheap. I'm really not in the mood to pay for a magazine that has 60 pages and 57 of them are advertisements and the 58th, the index. So I wait until the publication starts to beg, then get it cheap.

I recieved an Outdoor Life today (June/July pg. 86) and although the writer was speaking about centerfires, I thought the article was worth the pointers. Especially since the person that shared his accuracy secrets, was United States Air Force Staff SGT. George Reinas. SGT. Reinas is a sniper instructor and provided 10 tips for shooting. It was tip #2 that may relate.

SHOOT DIRTY. "Snipers prefer to shoot dirty guns. In other words, we will not clean our rifles for 200 to 300 rounds..."
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
Oh my God! Powerbelts out of an Encore? That's breaking the 11th commandment and the First when it comes to muzzleloader projectiles in modern in-lines, especially the Encore platform rifles.

SHOOT DIRTY. "Snipers prefer to shoot dirty guns. In other words, we will not clean our rifles for 200 to 300 rounds..."

They aren't financed by me, so I really don't have a say. And they have worked with sst's and other sabots, but don't like shoving a sabot over fouling at twenty below here in ND in December when our muzzleloader season is.

As far as shooting dirty, I have to with my 44 and lead bulets. My ruger srh doesn't do as well for the first hundred or two. After a couple of hundred shots with the same load, I can hit a clay bird every shot offhand at 100 yards with it and have seriously peeved at least one geltleman with a 222 and a varmint scope at 220 meters with it. We were shooting at a clay bird chunk at 220meters in a heck of a gusty wind(no wind meter but 30mph would be conservative at gust) , and he wasn't any better at 220 than I was with the 44. He got me after about 15 shots and finally got it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 AM

just recently purchased a pro hunter. Something does not feel right and I Am am a frequent rifle shooter. I even sent back one scope thinking that may be the problem . I just mounted it and haven't shot it. These stories are making me nervous so close to opening of the season. Is there any way to tell if I have one of these barrels? Also, for those of you having any good results what powder and bullet are you using?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Gold Member

There aren't many barrels that are "bad". They are few and far between. I've had three encore .50 cals and all shot great. My last one is a pro-hunter and would put three shots inside a 1/2 " at 100yds. The only way is to shoot it. But chances are I doubt you'll have a problem. I have not heard of anyone I know who has problems with them. As far as I'm concerned they are top notch. Like with anything there will be one out if a couple hundred that may have defects or a flaw. My barrel looks as if it hasent been shot either. My combo was 200gr shockwaves win 209 with blackthorn powder 120gr. Produced 1/2 " group. But have since changed to the Barnes. But have not shot those as of yet. Good shooting