Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

I ordered it from T/C and had my smith install it. I don't remember exact how much each one was, but both ran me a little over $100 including the shipping charges for both.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM

I would start with a TC adjustable hinge pin first which will take up the play in the frame and barrel.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help. I'll get a latch and hinge pin. This could be the fix for my prohunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminthunter View Post
I ordered it from T/C and had my smith install it. I don't remember exact how much each one was, but both ran me a little over $100 including the shipping charges for both.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry to open this older thread, but have you tried the Precision Rifle's 400 grain Ultimate Conicals. We have had good luck with them. Like you these were used for a hunt in Colorado.

There web site - www.prbullet.com

Jim
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Bronze Member

17 hunter-T/C encore are known to be sabot guns. This is what they shoot well. They don't do well with conicals or round balls. I would suggest getting your hands on some of the new Thor bullets(call them and ask for the free sample pack) to test if you mustn't use sabots....
As for the hinge pin, trigger springs, hammer springs, latch spring and the tools to do the job-get on the mike bellm website-you should be able to buy all of this and the tools to do it yourself for under $100. These are all relatively easy to fix your self-Kurt(the support guy) will get you on the right path. The site has all the instructions to do the jobs too along with alot of informative info/trouble shooting articles on these guns. I've done a bunch of work to my encore-most recently adjusting the head space between the barrel and reciever. My T/C is my go-to gun.

These encores are like Harleys, once you get them smoothed out -they are a pleasure to ride!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the great ideas.

I have made the mentioned mod's to the rifle and I did change ammo and powder.

Switched to the Hornady FPB 350gr bullet, Blackhorn 209 powder and CCI Mag Rifle Primer. Loading with 100 gr of Blackhorn, 1875fps muzzel volocity. Holds 1 MOA at 100 yards.

One other thing that I noticed, which might be specific to my barrel, but the rifle starting shooting better after about the 200 round point.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

The Encore platform rifles all have one thing in common when it comes to accuracy or the lack thereof. Without question it is the hinge pin as mentioned by others. I've owned Encores since I could get my hands on one and just about every rifle that I've seen or owned, needed a replacement hinge pin. Its not uncommon to replace the standard hinge pin with a 1X and improve a 3" group to a 1" group.

In most cases, a 1X hinge pin will be sufficient. However, some rifles may need a 2x or, even a 3x. You should NEVER be able to move a hinge pin by hand. Hinge pins need to be tight, which tightens up the barrel to the frame and prevents movement. If you just tap your hinge pin and it comes out, you need a larger pin. Your pin should require force to install it. I'm not talking a 2# hammer but, it should require multipal taps and be tight. I DO NOT recommend the adjustable pins. I also recommend that the pin be lubed with anti-seize, which will keep it from seizing in the event of prolonged storage. My current Pro Hunter required a 2X hinge pin right out of the box.

The locking bolt can be another contributing factor to tightening up groups. I always recommend that the stock spring for the locking bolt be replaced with a heavy duty spring. In RARE cases, the locking bolt itself may require some attention. This is mostly noticed with centerfire shooters but, it can affect long range muzzleloader shooting. This issue has to do with spacing of no more than .0025" top and bottom of the bolt. It can be happen with any break open rifle. I spent days discussing this issue with senior engineers, matheamaticians, ballistics experts and the most knowledgable people in North America with Encore platform rifles, Bellmtc.
If the barrel moves just short of .002" at ignition and before the bullet leaves the barrel, it will make a 6" difference in POI at 200yds. In other words, the bullet will appear to shoot flatter than a ballistics software program indicates it can.

Encore platform rifles also appear to need at least one round fired to foul the barrel, then it will group. Its been my expierence with my rifles and those that shoot with me on my range. My current Pro Hunter will shoot the first shot out of a clean barrel, 3" high and 1.5" right EVERY TIME. However, every shot after continues to group perfectly, 1/4" @ 100, 3/4" at 150 and 2+" at 200yds. I never hunt without swabbing out the CLEAN barrel, firing two primers, then two full loads discharged before my hunting load goes into the barrel.

You DO NOT have to invest a lot of money in extras to make a great shooting rifle into an outstanding shooting rifle. If you have good mechanical ability, can follow directions and work with small parts, you can completely improve and customize your Encore or Pro Hunter for approximately $35. This includes changing the trigger pull and eliminating any creep.

For about $35 my Pro Hunter has:
  • replaced the stock hinge pin with a 2X
  • replaced the stock locking bolt spring with a HD spring
  • replaced the stock firing pin spring with a HD spring
  • replaced the stock hammer spring with either the 44# or 51# (hunting/target)
  • replaced the trigger spring with a 2# spring (actual 1.7#)
  • honed and polished the sear
  • installed a trigger over travel screw
All these parts, including FREE downloadable directions can be purchased from Bellmtc. If you own an Encore or Pro Hunter, I strongly recommend that you visit Mike's site and read each page. Mike is without a doubt the most knowledgable man in North America when it comes to the Encore platform rifles. Mike Bellm TCs - Other Shops Supporting TCs & Trigger Work

I shoot 75grs by weight (107.1V) of BH209, CCI209M primers and Barnes 250gr. TMZ bullets. Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 scope.
Good shooting....