Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Re: Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

realy surprized that some hunters have a problem with the ENCORE i have had 7 muzzeloaders and kept only one my ENCORE it is very accurate at 100 yds. butttttt it likes a CLEAN BORE ,so for accuracy i swap the bore after each shot ..i have found that for a hunting bullet the BARNES EXPANDER 250 gr. is very accurate and all of my game has dropped on the spot [if i do my part] pic below is of my ENCORE ..

Last edited by black powder; 01-24-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: insert pic
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

My Pro Hunter will print 1" all day long with BlackHorn 209 & Hornady 250's + a CCI magnum primer. I never swab the barrel and only shoot out of a clean barrel 2-3 times a year.

Have you checked your hinge pin for slop? They make a hinge pin that is adjustable so you can snug it up, helps a lot. That can play havoc on accuracy. Also, a trigger job sure helps. The Encores are notorious for heavy triggers. Use a number 63 drill and make sure your breech plug is opened up.

My shooting buddie has 3 Pro hunters, I have 2 and they all will shoot 1" or less w/BlackHorn 209.
We have some Parker 275 bullets coming, supposed to be slicker than snot on a doorknob! We'll see how they work.

jm2c
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM

First start out by decarboning the flash channel with a 1/8th drill bit. If the 1/8th will not start use a smaller one and work up to the 1/8th bit. This will ensure proper ignition of BH209.

On a clean bore snap 2 primers. Run a dry patch down and out the bore to distribute the fouling.

Harvester 260 and 300gr PT's in a black Harvester Crushed rib loads nice in TC bores. No swabbing is necessary. Pretty much any flat base .451/.452 bullet in a Harvester crushed rib sabot will load nice.

Make sure both forend screws are tight along with the rear stock allen head screw located under the TC cap. Mine was throwing shots and the rear buttstock screw was loose.

With 100-110gr of Blackhorn 209, 260 or 300gr PT, that gun will hold a tight 100yd group. Another good bullet is the .452 250gr Speer Deep Curl.

After cleaning with Hoppe's I dry the barrel and run one patch of Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner down and out. I have forgot to swab it out before shooting and 1st shot is right there with #2 and #3.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

The barrel has to have a little bit of fouling to get it to sling them all the same,, Try shooting 2 primers before you load a clean barrel,
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I will try the fouling process before I shoot my encore again.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Bronze Member

I had a very similar problem with my ProHunter also. Believe it or not it was both the hinge pin on the barrel and the locking latch on the receiver.

The latch had a little too much play and was allowing the barrel to rock downward slightly, causing the first shot to be lower and either right or left depending on how I close the barrel. After the first shot the barrel and attached metal parts heat up and start to contract, tightening up of the parts. I replaced the latch and hinge pin and the problem went away.

I shoot the Hornady 350gr FTP bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder of 120 gr. with a CCI shotshell primer.

I now get .75" group at 100 yards and 2" to 2 1/4" groups at 300 yards. I only clean at the end of the day. One trick that I have found was to use the attachment on the end of your ram rod that will allow the bullet to swivel freely down the rifling, much tight fit.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Varminthunter,
Thanks for the information. I was beginning to believe I was the only person having this problem. I know where to get a new hinge pin, but where did you get the replacement latch? I am going to replace both the hinge pin and the latch to eliminate those items from being a problem.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminthunter View Post
I had a very similar problem with my ProHunter also. Believe it or not it was both the hinge pin on the barrel and the locking latch on the receiver.

The latch had a little too much play and was allowing the barrel to rock downward slightly, causing the first shot to be lower and either right or left depending on how I close the barrel. After the first shot the barrel and attached metal parts heat up and start to contract, tightening up of the parts. I replaced the latch and hinge pin and the problem went away.

I shoot the Hornady 350gr FTP bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder of 120 gr. with a CCI shotshell primer.

I now get .75" group at 100 yards and 2" to 2 1/4" groups at 300 yards. I only clean at the end of the day. One trick that I have found was to use the attachment on the end of your ram rod that will allow the bullet to swivel freely down the rifling, much tight fit.

GOOD LUCK!!!