Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiedan View Post
Just joined sight after finding this thread! Im hooked already! I will spend my hard earned $35 bucks for an upgrade on my TC. I can take my hinge pin out without any tools!
Please note.... Changing a trigger spring can be a bugger! You'll need the directions from Mike Bellm TCs - Other Shops Supporting TCs & Trigger Work which are free if you download them Mike Bellm TCs - Free Encore & G2 Trigger Job Instructions

If you have trouble working with small parts and springs, its a very quick turn around if you send your frame to Jim, who's link is also on that same page. Duncan's here in MI also does it.

If your hinge pin is that loose, you may need a 2x. My current Pro Hunter took a 2x right out of the box and before I ever shot it. You can go back to post #28 and check out what I do to my Encore platform rifles. A TIGHT hinge pin is a must......
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
Please note.... Changing a trigger spring can be a bugger! You'll need the directions from Mike Bellm TCs - Other Shops Supporting TCs & Trigger Work which are free if you download them Mike Bellm TCs - Free Encore & G2 Trigger Job Instructions

If you have trouble working with small parts and springs, its a very quick turn around if you send your frame to Jim, who's link is also on that same page. Duncan's here in MI also does it.

If your hinge pin is that loose, you may need a 2x. My current Pro Hunter took a 2x right out of the box and before I ever shot it. You can go back to post #28 and check out what I do to my Encore platform rifles. A TIGHT hinge pin is a must......
I really dont think I need the trigger work. I had my smith do the trigger when I bought the gun new. It's just under 3 lbs which I like for hunting. Though it does have a tiny bit of creep.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Bronze Member

I shoot the triumph T/C with the 250 grain shockwaves and 3 pellets of Triple seven with a Leupold Ultimate slam sitting on top of it.... I have found that with a clean, cold barrel the first shot for whatever reason is at 100 yards is always 3 inches right and 2 inches low!! From then on it dead on at 100 yards and the bullet impact are exactly on with the dots in the scope... well it's not enough to miss a deer/bear or any other four foot animal out to 150 on a clean barrel I always foul my barrel the day before hunting and leave it that way until the season is done... MAKE sure the hole in the breech plug is wide open BUT that's another story...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

I checked back in a couple of my target photos and found one where I intentionally wanted to show why I always foul my barrel with at least two rounds, prior to hunting. As this picture shows, my first and second shot out of a clean barrel do not hit P.O.A. Granted, its probably acceptable for a close range shot but, if my first shot may happen to be at 200yds, it really changes the game in where that first bullet may go.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Trouble with first shot accuracy with T/C Prohunter 50 cal.-10-2-11.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM

I just changed my factory hinge pin to the bellm 2x pin. It went in pretty tight. I can tell the action is alot stiffer to close, I hope its not terrible to change now. I also weighed out some bh209 charges to try in my rifle. Hope I see some improvement!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM

I will be anxiously waiting for your results. My Encore was always a MOA gun until recently when the groups have started to open up. I am wondering if the hinge pin is getting a little loose and causing the groups to suffer a little.

After reading about keeping the breech plug clean and using a 1/8th drill bit I decided to check my again. I tried to use the 1/8 and it seemed like it was to big. I dropped down to the next size and as I started to clean it out I realized I had quite a bit of crud in there. 1/8th now fits fine. Be interested to see if that makes a difference in accuracy.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
I will be anxiously waiting for your results. My Encore was always a MOA gun until recently when the groups have started to open up. I am wondering if the hinge pin is getting a little loose and causing the groups to suffer a little.

After reading about keeping the breech plug clean and using a 1/8th drill bit I decided to check my again. I tried to use the 1/8 and it seemed like it was to big. I dropped down to the next size and as I started to clean it out I realized I had quite a bit of crud in there. 1/8th now fits fine. Be interested to see if that makes a difference in accuracy.

Hinge Pin.............. If your pin moves by pushing on it with your finger or a tool, its WAY TO LOOSE. If when you open the rifle, you can feel ANY side to side movement, its to loose. If your hinge pin inserts with just a few taps from a hammer and punch, its probably to loose. You shouldn't have to DRIVE it in with a 2# hammer but, it should take multipal taps and be TIGHT while inserting it. A loose or poorly fitting hinge pin can make a significent difference in the size of your groups. If its loose, replace it with either a 1x or maybe it will take a 2x. Make it tight and eliminate that contributing factor.