Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Traditional Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Re: Traditional Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_heli_logger View Post
Has anyone ever tried one the Green Mountain drop-in replacement barrels? I've been told that they truely are a drop-in for the Thompson Center Hawken and are supposed to be more accurate...
Thanks!
I have 3 of the green mtn long range hunter barrels and they shoot excellent with cast bullets and 300 grn sabots and plain old FF
Old 09-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Wife made a jaunt yesterday and came back telling me about a garage sale with just a TON of outdoor stuff for sale and, it happened to only be a couple miles away. I grabbed my wallet and before I could drive myself, she offered to take me.

Long story shorter, the lady had lost her husband two years ago and finally got around to have a sale. When the wife said, "a ton", she meant it! The guy sure had a bunch. I picked up a couple items and while talking with the lady, I mentioned that I shot a lot of muzzleloader rounds. Well it just so happened that although she didn't have them out, she said she was selling two muzzleloaders.

One was a .50 T/C Hawkens and the other a .54 T/C Hawkens. Looking them over, I was a little concerned about the barrels and almost passed on them. We talked price and she sold them BOTH for $150.00. I asked her if she had any children or grandkids that would want them and she told me they didn't hunt or shoot. The outsides looked in great condition so I picked them up.

The .50 cleaned up great and no pitting. However he'd stuffed them full of bore butter and I spend 3 hours getting that caked and hardened stuff out. Other than a very slight mark on the wood, its a great rifle. Now the .54 cleaned up harder and I think there's a little pitting in the barrel at the breech. Its quite obvious that he used the .54 more than the .50, with a few more marks on the wood. All in all, I think I made a great find. Now the .50 I'm going to keep, on the other hand the .54 I think I'm going to put up for sale.

Anybody have a clue what these rifles would go for?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

$150 is an incredible buy - and you asked all the right questions before going ahead with the purchase. Sounds like she wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them. Depending on condition, I would think that someone would jump at the chance to own a .54 cal T/C Hawkins for $200. Maybe $250 if you willing to wait and hold for the right buyer.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
$150 is an incredible buy - and you asked all the right questions before going ahead with the purchase. Sounds like she wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them. Depending on condition, I would think that someone would jump at the chance to own a .54 cal T/C Hawkins for $200. Maybe $250 if you willing to wait and hold for the right buyer.
I'd sell the .54 Hawkens for $150 just to make my money back. However I'm keeping the .50 and will be shoot'n it. I handed all my sidelocks down years ago and sold some. Yup, when I could get my hands on a Knight, I remained with inlines. But I've been thinking the last couple years about some close range hunting here in the woods with a sideock in the last couple years.

Unfortunately a few years ago, I gave away about a 1,000 round balls, nipple wrenches and a box of patches :(
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Took out that "new to me", used Hawken this morning. I assumed that the old boy that originally had them, most likely had them zeroed so.... I didn't touch a thing. I loaded up a couple film cartridges with 90grs of 2f and I had purchased a box of .490 round balls and some pre-lubed patches.

Now I was wondering just how well MY.... shoot'n would be with open sights, after all these eye surgeries. It appears that I can still shoot open sights
My bench sets at 100yds and I just left it right there, put up a target and started loading'er up. First round is the round to the right from clean bore........

Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Good Morning,
Just joined the forum. I don't play with the modern muzzleloaders. Personal choice is my self built fullstock .58 flinter or Lyman great plains .54 caliber. Headed to Oregon next week as a matter of fact to chase Mulies with the flinter.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinter58 View Post
Good Morning,
Just joined the forum. I don't play with the modern muzzleloaders. Personal choice is my self built fullstock .58 flinter or Lyman great plains .54 caliber. Headed to Oregon next week as a matter of fact to chase Mulies with the flinter.
Welcome and good luck chasing Mulies..