Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Traditional Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Traditional Shooters

I was reading a book by Maj. John Plaster (US Army Ret?), "Sharpshooters of the Civil War" I believe was the title.

I've fallin in like with the idea of percussion cap Gibbs or Whitworth in .451 long projectiles for LR hunting during muzzleloader season here in Virginia.

Anyone gone this route lately? Can I get a percussion cap something fairly inexpensive and have it re-barreled in 45 cal instead of popping for a new pedersoli reproduction or the like?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

When it comes to muzzleloading, I guess I am probably as traditional as it gets. I have been making and shooting muzzleloaders for quite some time now. Although I have made a couple of percussion rifles, I must confess that I have fallen in love with the geometry and romance of the old flintlock rifles and smoothbores. Not even a long range shot at a gong at 1000 yds will ever be quite as satisfying as hitting your mark with a rifle based on a 250 year old design that you have loaded, primed and fired yourself.

My favorite load is 70 gr. of Swiss powder (cleanest buring IMO) with a 230 gr., 54 cal. roundball cradled in a 12/1000" pillowticking spit patch.

Rifle is a custom build: Lock is a Siler Delux. Stock is piece of crotch walnut shaped after the style of the classic rifle builder Andrew Verner from Bucks Co.. PA. The barrel is a swamped 44" by Getz in .54 cal with a 1-in-70 slow twist with a coned muzzle. That about covers it: Lock, Stock & Barrel. :-)
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

about the closest I can come is my c-sharps 45-90 and my winchester 85 also in 45-90. I have never shot anything but black powder in both of these with a 560 grn 20-1 lead bullet from a custom steve brooks mold. I have MVA midrange soule and use the sharps for shooting black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches. Unbelieveably accurate.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_heli_logger View Post
Has anyone ever tried one the Green Mountain drop-in replacement barrels? I've been told that they truely are a drop-in for the Thompson Center Hawken and are supposed to be more accurate...
Thanks!
i have the .58 cal 32" drop in barrel from gm. it is in a renegade stock and it did drop right in. but also had a .54 gm barrel for a tc hawken that i had to cut some of the under rib off to fit.
the .58 will shoot one holers @ 50 yards with correct patch/lube combo.
i shoot wano [grafs] powder and like it. the gm barrels are worth the money if you can find them. my 12 year old son and i also have several other tc muzzle stuffers that we shoot, all are traditional. either hawken or renegade rifles in .50 and .54 cal. we have a blast at the range. really cool to watch him load and shoot, he is a good lil shot.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

I hunt with an Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle sidelock percussion.

It may not quite qualify as traditional as it has a "bullet" barrel in 1:28 twist and I shoot saboted 240g Hornady XTP's at 1975fps over 90g 777 and a musket cap . It will put 3 shots inside of a quarter at 100 yards.

I also installed a Williams WRGS peep and front Firesite on it.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM

Once I kill a wallhanger with my Omega I plan on going back to traditional. My dream rifle for this would be the Pedersoli Gibbs .72 with a ghost ring sight. It might be a tad out of my price range. Probably will go with Lyman .54 and add an aperture sight. I always wanted to use a smoothbore musket with shot to kill and pheasant in the morning and then a deer with a ball as the sun was going down but sadly the pheasants are pretty scarce around here now a days. I am just glad to know there are still some traditionalists out there.

HawkeyeFan
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Custom built traditional s and shot competition with them for about 20 years. Then life changed and took me away from them. I still hunt with them and love them dearly but I just don't get much time to shoot them like I did. I hunt with a early style full stock percussion Hawken in .58 cal. Not going to give the load as it will scare most people or should anyway. Longest kill on deer with a round ball is 186 yds offhand. Hit him in the lower neck and knocked off his antlers, Literally. Seems he has been shot before and had been laying up sick prior to me shooting him and it must of loosened up his antlers prior to me shooting him. So full of infection that the Game Commission gave me another tag. I got to keep the antlers though. Cheap inline's ruined the Traditional ML building and as far as I'm concerned ruined the traditional ML hunting seasons. OH well. Its still the most fun you can have with your clothes on I have ever had.