Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Traditional Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Traditional Shooters

Thanks everyone! I think I've been using too heavy of a load (the lowest charge I tried was 85 grains)...I'll throttle 'er back a little and keep shooting. This BP stuff is addictive...I like it!! BTW--one of the few patches that I found looked like I was getting some blow-by...
Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 AM

Some of us are still around, I shoot a .50 cal. flintlock I built from scratch. It has a Getz swamped barrel with 1:22 twist, great for Maxi-hunters etc. The lock is a Siler and the set triggers are Davis. The stock is curly maple. Unfortunately after several hundred rounds the stock broke in the wrist. As soon as I get time I will repair. Last year I shot a 250 pound black bear with this gun. Sorry no pictures but I thought I'd put my two cents worth in.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Ive got a Lyman Plains rifle in .50 cal and shoot a .490 Hornady roundball with a .015th pre-lubed patch. and LOVE IT. Im on my 3rd set of open sights (legality issue between Or. and Id, my 2 favorite states to hunt) My BEST group was just over 1 1/4 in 3shot group at 100yds. leaning over the spare tire behind my Jeep. **I dont recomend this method on account of powder burns on your soft top*** hahaha But killed 3 Mule deer with it so far.Also smoked a coyote @ 186 yds somehow
Switching to Tripple 7 FFG OR FFFG. American Pioneer FFG seems like the consistancy of rock-salt, and doesnt pour easily enough.
Glad to see some traditional guys here! NOT that I have anything against in-lines, I want one of those too.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 02-22-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 AM

When I'm back in the States I shoot a Lyman GPR .54 percussion and what began life as a T/C Renegade .54 flintlock. The only T/C component on it now is the stock. I have a Green Mountain drop-in barrel on it, and it's been a great barrel! I also installed an L&R replacement lock and Davis target triggers. When I get motivated, I'll replace the New England-style stock with something more appropriate.

I've got several other smokepoles that I don't shoot as often, including an unfinished Edward Marshal .62 flintlock kit. I really need to get busy and finish that gun! Just as soon as I return to the States.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Not that I'm a pro, but it was recommended to me to start with charge = caliber & work up. you can also 'double patch' which is to put a wadded patch on the powder then the standard P&B. In the 4H comps, equal parts of Murphys oil soap, hydrogen peroxide, & alcohol. A friend who shoots comp uses Hoppes BP solvent & something else (I forget) but I believe its alcohol. This reduces fouling.. & he also uses Goex 3f. I'm going to season my daughters with bear fat & for my daughters comp use the Murphy's. TC Cherokee, .45
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM

BTW: a 150 gr 3 pellet 209 primed belted jacketed balistic tip 3X-9X-56mm bolt action just aint muzzle loadin'. But I do have a Knight too, NIB. TC & CVA sidelocks are the mains. Would like a flinter someday.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

Heck yah! Flintlocks rock! (pun intended)

I shoot a custom .54 cal flintlock model after the SW Virginia style rifles of the 1760-1770's. That one's my pride and joy. It was built by a guy who apprentice under Herschel House and is a thing of beauty. All hand forged iron mounted, 44" Colerain swamped barrel, 70 grains of 3F and a .535 round ball in a linen patch,...oh I'm getting exceited just thinking about it.

I also shoot a.62 cal smoothbore Tulle and a .75 cal. cut-down Brown Bess. I have taken deer with all 3 of them and turkey with the Tulle. If you are a God fearing man, you have to shoot flintlocks, because the good Lord didn't put percussion caps on this earth.

My oldest son shoots a modern inline (yuck), but he will learn. In all seriousness, I have nothing against the modern guns or those who use them. I just enjoy the traditional guns.

Dirty Steve