Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

"Traditional" LR Muzzle Loader - How?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes10x1 View Post
I'd like to make my next project a "traditional" long range muzzle loader. I've seen a number of threads about using sabots with in-lines. That just doesn't interest me. I'd like to start with my set trigger TC Renegade add a new barrel and perhaps a more traditional scope like the "Leatherwood". My goal would be to build a muzzle loader with which I can hunt comfortably and perhaps do a bit of target work between 400 and up to 600 yards. From what I've read about the Whitworth, it should be do-able. Am I on a reasonable quest - or just chasing and unrealistic vision? Any comments or suggestions?
Under your present scenario....you're gonna find that it would be akin to trying to take off in an airplane still tied down and with the chocks in place! The Whitworth is one thing.....your Renagade is another! To shoot elongated projectiles such as the Whitworth....in the 500+ gr. range you're going to need at least a 1-18" ROT and 1-16" might be even better! Whatever you do....you'd best provide a way for loading those sabots REAL STRAIGHT into the bore.....otherwise.....you're lost!! As you may know...the inlines have the muzzle counter-bored to fit the sabot and that's a long way from having a 'false muzzle' but it seems to work pretty well!

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Thank you all, but still looking...

I really appreciate the information from everyone.

For Sharps... If I were to start with the Renegade, I would be looking at a completely new barrel in .45 cal. I don't intend to load a sabot, but rather a lubed lead or paper-patch bullet. Your comment about loading is a very good one. Hadn't thought about that.

Forster Products made a loader for muzzle loaders (I have one in .54) that captured the projectile and then pushed it direcly into the bore. I might be able to copy something like that. I wonder how they loaded the Whitworth straight during the 19th century?

I'm going to do a bit more research on the Whitworth at the Shot Show this Feb. If anyone has more ideas on how to proceed, please let me know.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

i believe the bullets in the whitworth were cast with a spiral hex that matched the hex in the bore. a false muzzle was used to start the bullet exact.

why not just try and start shooting at a 200 yard block? the better you get at that range, the better understanding you will have to move efurther on down range... i shoot my flintlock .50 t/c hawken to 250 with prb's and open sights. its all just practice and repetition..... and some luck and lots of 2F
Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Go to PR Bullets prbullets.com they specialize in heavy bullets for any twist. they normally have good starting loads for any gun, bullet and twist.

you can purchase a new faster twist barrel if needed.

Go to some type of BDC reticle such as the Nikon BDC or Kahles/Swarovski TDS reticle and use EXBAL to figure your drops.

BH
Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Pvanwyk, I have a rifle that I believe to be identical to yours. (Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth). The barrel bore is rifled, not hexagonal, though. It's still unfired, partly because I don't have any loading data for it. I bought it from a store that was closing, and took it as is. It is beautifully made.

I would appreciate your loading info and/or anyone else who knows this rifle.

Thanks, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

All you need is right here......

and my choice would be a .45/90 or a .45/110!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Whitworth Rifle

The information following is from "The Gun Digest, Black Powder Loading Manual"

Parker-Hale Whitworth Rifle (Close enough???)
caliber: 45
barrel length: 36"
rate of twist: 1 / 20
projectile: .457" 490gr Lyman mould# 457121
powder: GOI
lube: 50/50 beeswax / RIG
ignition: Navy Arms musket cap

powder volume muzzle velocity energy
50FFg 971 1026 target
70FFg 1161 1467 target
90FFg 1306 1856 target / big game

comments:
90gr FFg max recommended load

Superb accuracy was attained with this rifle and bullet combination for every load tested.

Hope this helps and again this is not my experience, just from the manual I have.