Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

TC triumph new need some guidance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: TC triumph new need some guidance.

I bought Remington 209 primers. Hornady 250 grain sabots. I was thinking about 777 or white hots, what do you think? One bottle of 209 powder. How do I measure the volume? Can I measure weights with a scale? Also, the pellets, should I try those and if so what ones? Or can I mix 100 gr of pellet and 10gr of powder??
Just curious. Basspro is not very complete.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
I bought Remington 209 primers. Hornady 250 grain sabots. I was thinking about 777 or white hots, what do you think? One bottle of 209 powder. How do I measure the volume? Can I measure weights with a scale? Also, the pellets, should I try those and if so what ones? Or can I mix 100 gr of pellet and 10gr of powder??
Just curious. Basspro is not very complete.
DO NOT mix propellants..... It could cause dangerous pressure spikes!

Starting out, ALWAYS, ALWAYS measure loose powder by VOLUME. Until you become very versed in loading procedures and WITHOUT FAIL use the proper conversion numbers provided by the propellant manufacturers, measure by volume. DO NOT exceed the manufactures recommendations for your rifle.

You need a volume measure like this: Thompson Center U-View Black Powder Measure 15 to 125 Grains 5 Grain

As for "what I think" about propellants, I would certainly go with BH209 above all else. Its just that good. Unless restricted by law, you can't obtain it or, you're shooting a rifle not capable of shooting BH209, its the only propellant I'd shoot from a production muzzleloader. And no........ I don't own stock in it, I feel its just that good and so do many other shooters.

My second choice, would be Triple Seven loose. As far as the White Hots, I've never shot it but, know a couple shooters who have. They switched back to BH209.

My last choice in a production rifle, would be pellets, then it would be T7 pellets.

Primers............. If you shoot BH209, at minimum a WIN209 and preferably a CCI209M of Federal 209A. If you shoot loose T7, then the primers you mentioned above should work fine. If you shoot pellets, then use DESIGNATED muzzleloader primers.

Bullets............. The 250gr SST is used by a number of shooters with great accuracy and good success on game. My personal choice is not an SST, but rather a Barnes 250gr TMZ. There are excellent bullets, good bullets and one being the poorest bullet. The Hornady XTP is a great short to medium range bullet, with some having excellent results to 150yds.

My opinions only. Hope it helps.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
DO NOT mix propellants..... It could cause dangerous pressure spikes!

Starting out, ALWAYS, ALWAYS measure loose powder by VOLUME. Until you become very versed in loading procedures and WITHOUT FAIL use the proper conversion numbers provided by the propellant manufacturers, measure by volume. DO NOT exceed the manufactures recommendations for your rifle.

You need a volume measure like this: Thompson Center U-View Black Powder Measure 15 to 125 Grains 5 Grain

As for "what I think" about propellants, I would certainly go with BH209 above all else. Its just that good. Unless restricted by law, you can't obtain it or, you're shooting a rifle not capable of shooting BH209, its the only propellant I'd shoot from a production muzzleloader. And no........ I don't own stock in it, I feel its just that good and so do many other shooters.

My second choice, would be Triple Seven loose. As far as the White Hots, I've never shot it but, know a couple shooters who have. They switched back to BH209.

My last choice in a production rifle, would be pellets, then it would be T7 pellets.

Primers............. If you shoot BH209, at minimum a WIN209 and preferably a CCI209M of Federal 209A. If you shoot loose T7, then the primers you mentioned above should work fine. If you shoot pellets, then use DESIGNATED muzzleloader primers.

Bullets............. The 250gr SST is used by a number of shooters with great accuracy and good success on game. My personal choice is not an SST, but rather a Barnes 250gr TMZ. There are excellent bullets, good bullets and one being the poorest bullet. The Hornady XTP is a great short to medium range bullet, with some having excellent results to 150yds.

I bought the SST-MI today. THey did not have any barnes and only TC and Accurate. So this was all I had that even fit close to your recs.

Primers, No Fed or CCI in 209. Got the remington STS primers.

I am going to take a trip to SPortsmans tomorrow I hope and try to see what they have… At Least I have the 209 powder… Now I will look into the volume measuring thing you said and get that…

ANyway, Thanks for the help…. and your opinion matters!!!!! You are seasoned and know how these things work!!!

Thannsk

Mario

My opinions only. Hope it helps.
Thanks a bunch
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

bought the SST-MI today. THey did not have any barnes and only TC and Accurate. So this was all I had that even fit close to your recs.

Primers, No Fed or CCI in 209. Got the remington STS primers.

I am going to take a trip to SPortsmans tomorrow I hope and try to see what they have… At Least I have the 209 powder… Now I will look into the volume measuring thing you said and get that…

ANyway, Thanks for the help…. and your opinion matters!!!!! You are seasoned and know how these things work!!!

Thannsk

Mario
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Is there a way to get the "T" handle ram rod??? I have the triumph with out the T… does that matter??

I bought a started rod thing today to help get the bullet in… ANything else you can think of??

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Is there a way to get the "T" handle ram rod??? I have the triumph with out the T… does that matter??

I bought a started rod thing today to help get the bullet in… ANything else you can think of??

Thanks
If you lived close, you could have the "T" handle that came with a Pro Hunter I have. I don't like it, won't use it and could care less about them. I want to screw a bullet loading jag directly into the end of my ramrod. The "T" handle ramrod makes that impossible.

I've used this for years and still do. The plastic ones from T/C work, but as much as I shoot I break them.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...xtension-a1335
Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Ok. Got the things you recommended. Gonna start with 100 cc's, ml, not sure of the volumetric units, of BH209 and go up to 110 at a max. I believe you said 109 is your magic number right encore? I have 3 sabots. 250 sst, 250 Barnes and 290 Barnes. I believe. And the 209 primers. Going to start here on Monday and see what happens. I guess clean every 10 shots? Also, should I fire the fowlers first and gen keep track?
Think I'll shoot 10 of each to see how it goes at 100 volumetric units and ten bases on that, increase. Sound like a plan??
Thanks

Mario