close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

TC omega replacement barrels???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Bronze Member

TC omega replacement barrels???

Anybody know of a place making replacement omega barrels? Obviously if you search "TC" and "barrel" all you get is contender and encore stuff. If you leave out the "TC", you get watch stuff. I know I could just buy another one, but I kinda wanted to see if there was a more accurate custom option.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Re: TC omega replacement barrels???

I've tried the same, no luck as well.. I assumed I was the only one on the planet who wanted one, now I see I'm not alone. I never actually called and ask TC and was gonna just buy the cheapest one I could find and throw away the stock, etc. That doesn't make sense so I need to call them, or find a custom maker to sell me one for the omega.

TTT
Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Yeah, the Omega was the hottest thing going for awhile, but it seems like it's fallen out of favor. TC isn't even making it anymore. I know in muzzle loading circles it's not very highly thought of, something to do with lock time. I think they're fine, and call me crazy, but I can't see how a break action can be as accurate as a fixed barrel. There is a smith out there somewhere that can do a custom barrel (it's not a complicated design), we've just gotta find one. I'm gonna keep looking. I almost just decided to give up and buy an Encore. I like my Omega though, and I've made some amazing shots with it. It's a light handy rifle that's easy to clean... What more could you ask for out of a rifle your only gonna hunt with (in my case) 9 days out of the year?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM

I couldn't get any consistent accuracy out of my Omega because of a pitted barrel so I sent it into T/C last December. It couldn't be fixed & they wouldn't replace it because they said the barrels were all serialized to the gun. They offered me an employee discount on a new rifle which wasn't a bad deal but they wouldn't send back my old rifle. It was essentially a trade-in but the omega was worthless to me without any replacement barrel options.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Call Mike Bellm. Mike may know someone. He does know a guy that works on the Omega trigger, who may know about another barrel.

Someone, someplace, somewhere I've been, may have rebarreled an Omega it seems. Took a lot of work, heck it could have been right here on this site. Do a search......
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

Never heard of someone rebarreling one.

Why do you think it needs it, is it visibly damaged? In my extensive experience with Omegas, I found them to be somewhat finicky in what they would shoot well, but once you worked up a load they were incredibly accurate. I have shot MOA groups with mine to 500 yards.

The usual culprit is people pushing too high of charges. Back off on the charge until you hit accuracy. I shoot the 200SW with 110gr 777...definitely not a max load...but it's been good for deer to 400 yards. I only get accuracy with a max load when I get to 300 grain bullets.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Never heard of someone rebarreling one.

Why do you think it needs it, is it visibly damaged? In my extensive experience with Omegas, I found them to be somewhat finicky in what they would shoot well, but once you worked up a load they were incredibly accurate. I have shot MOA groups with mine to 500 yards.

The usual culprit is people pushing too high of charges. Back off on the charge until you hit accuracy. I shoot the 200SW with 110gr 777...definitely not a max load...but it's been good for deer to 400 yards. I only get accuracy with a max load when I get to 300 grain bullets.
Mine had some heavy pitting about 8inches past the breach. The rest of the barrel was in good shape but no matter what I did, I couldn't achieve the accuracy I wanted so I sent it into T/C. They said it couldn't be fixed and that it was ruined. They blamed it on improper maintenance but I think it was just a rough barrel that got worse with usage of pyrodex. I cleaned it after every use and kept it spotless.