Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

TC Impact trigger, free floating, and bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: TC Impact trigger, free floating, and bedding

What barrel did you get .451 or .458? What are you going to start with for loads and bullets? They all shoot moa so whatever you do you'll be shooting less than 1" groups at 100 yards! It's crazy scary what the rem smokeless builds do and then some!

Great way to go and I bet it won't be your last!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

He did not specify barrel size, but he is supposed to be sending me the invoice. I am going to request the .458 like you suggested. I have no problem spending the extra money on match hunters if that means not having to turn them down.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry, missed the other part of the question. I have been doing a lot of research and haven't really found anything other than what bullet to use. Which for ranges in excess of 600 yds seems the match hunter. But I do not know what powder to purchase or what gr to start at. I need to buy a scale as well
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter1661 View Post
Just out of curiosity. What length barrel are you running on that BP Extreme?
From the breech face to the end of the rifling..... 24.5" then add an additional 1.5" for the muzzlebrake.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

When you get ready to start buying powder give me a shout there is allot you can get but my go to load is a duplex load it sounds overwhelming at first but it's worth it in the end as long as you stay focused while your loading and don't do a double load. Witness marks are a MUST!

Before you start shooting make sure your absolutely ready and are completely safe smokeless is way more dangerous! Just ask lots of questions and you'll be fine.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Will do. I am reading as we speak about load and what powder. Holy moly lol. There are a lot of options. Burn rates, pressures, duplex loading. I would love to just have a single load rather than duplex but I can't find any good posts documenting results with say 10x or others. I will be honest, I have never even owned a rifle so I have a lot to learn before I even start the front stuffing procedure.. Slightly overwhelmed with all of the options. I suppose we can talk details when I actually get the gun built. I have a two month lead as it stands just to receive the barrel and action.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

If you want straight you'll want 4198 however I'd recommend 4759 and 4198 in a duplex. This is the most common load and most proven load out of all of them. The 4759 guarantee ignition.