Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Talk to me about savage 10MLSS-II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Talk to me about savage 10MLSS-II

I use h1000 almost exclusively for reloading. I want to buy the savage 10MLSS-II for next deer season. I would think a slow burning powder like h1000 would work well in this case?

I had no idea till recently they even was such a thing as a muzzle loader capable of taking smokeless powder.

What can you recommend as far as bullets?

I am a complete muzzle loader n00b.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Talk to me about savage 10MLSS-II

Go over to Doug's message board, loads of smokeless information. I shoot a custom Savage with PacNor barrel and Stockade Stock. I think the 3 powders recomended by savage are 4227, 4759, and 5744. I don't think these are slow powders. I shoot the old standard load of 44gr of 5744 with a .452 dia. 250 gr. XTP with them mmp short sabot. I know at one time there was a problem with the 4227 not igniting. Also as with any ML, if it misfires and the primer goes off it will push the bullet up away from the plug. Reseat the bullet before you try again.

Hope some of this helps.
Please research, I'm definately no expert on this.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Can you get a ML action? whats involved in building your own? It looks like they use fast burning pistol powders.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

I bought a stainless Savage ML a few years ago. I do not like the ramrod always falling out or make noise, you can't keep a spinjag on it anyway. PacNor makes a drop in barrel for them, spin the factory off and headspace the new one (tell them which bullet combo you are going to shoot and they will suggest the twist). Then you can either get a B&C Duramax stock and work it to make fit (don't like the quality) or send your new barreled action to Stockade and they will add an extra action screw and bed your barreled action in one of their stocks. I think I got my takedown ramrod from Harold MacDonald (hope I got that name correct). Nobody at the range can believe you are shooting a muzzleloader.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

I have been using 44g AA5744 with 300g Barnes expander with sabot supplied by Barnes for many years. Extremely accurate and knocks the crap out of deer unlike anything I have ever fired at one. I can't use a rifle during deer season.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotekiller View Post
I have been using 44g AA5744 with 300g Barnes expander with sabot supplied by Barnes for many years. Extremely accurate and knocks the crap out of deer unlike anything I have ever fired at one. I can't use a rifle during deer season.
No rifles here but on the family farm a shot over 200 yards rarely presents itself or is necessary. Land is smack in the middle of a deer super highway and lots of fence line. Several choke points along the fence where deer bunch up in groups to jump over. The deer seem to love to follow the fence and just inside the treeline. We have trees stands in some great locations. It's nice owning the land I spend a lot of time out there shooting my 1000 f class rig and can really watch the deer through my NF NSX at 22 power. Sat I'll be borrowing my Father in Laws encore and scoping out where I want to set up for Monday.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I use h1000 almost exclusively for reloading. I want to buy the savage 10MLSS-II for next deer season. I would think a slow burning powder like h1000 would work well in this case?

I had no idea till recently they even was such a thing as a muzzle loader capable of taking smokeless powder.

What can you recommend as far as bullets?

I am a complete muzzle loader n00b.
Ive killed #3 hogs with it and alot of other deer 220 yds in to 10ft. Randy Wakeman has a great website. I bought my savage from him quite a few years ago. You will have a great start at his site. I use nothing but my 10ml 2