Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting


Reply

smokeless or BH-209

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: polson MT.
Posts: 678
smokeless or BH-209

Is there anyone building a longrange muzzleloader that will shoot both smokeless and BH-209 powder. I would think if you could shoot smokeless in your muzzleloader it would work with BH-209 ? Thanks for info Joe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 93
Re: smokeless or BH-209

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Is there anyone building a longrange muzzleloader that will shoot both smokeless and BH-209 powder. I would think if you could shoot smokeless in your muzzleloader it would work with BH-209 ? Thanks for info Joe
What do you consider long-range? Some consider long-range 50 yards others consider long-range 500+ with a muzzleloader. There are allot of savage ml and Remington ml being converted to smokeless on Doug's message boards. Another option would be a break action 45/70. It depends on what exactly your looking for. I have a 45/70 converted that shoots smokeless it will shoot 300 to 400 but that's about it. I have a McRem build that I'm hoping to get 800 using high BC bullets we'll see though haven't tested accuracy yet though. I believe both guns will shoot black horn 209 but not durr if you'll get miss fires with it for sure. If you did it if look at a Pete's recess plug it would put the powder a little closer to primer which should help.

Best option go to Doug's read and research as much as you can then ask a few questions. They'll get you set up with something that will work. Hope that helps, good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NE MI and a lake with no fish
Posts: 409
Re: smokeless or BH-209

I talked with two of the major builders by phone. The rifles will shoot BH209 but, you have to remember those rifles are being built to shoot smokeless. Its what those guys do. You won't get the velocity using BH209 as they get with smokeless either, along with a very limited selection of bullets.

I love shooting BH but, after carefully considering all my options, one being smokeless is illegal during our designated muzzleloader season, I opted for a long range rifle that was designed to shoot the substitutes... www.ultimatefirearms.com

I'm waiting on its build now and hope to have it as soon as the snow depths drop to a manageable level. Probably end of March or April.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: polson MT.
Posts: 678
Re: smokeless or BH-209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
I talked with two of the major builders by phone. The rifles will shoot BH209 but, you have to remember those rifles are being built to shoot smokeless. Its what those guys do. You won't get the velocity using BH209 as they get with smokeless either, along with a very limited selection of bullets.

I love shooting BH but, after carefully considering all my options, one being smokeless is illegal during our designated muzzleloader season, I opted for a long range rifle that was designed to shoot the substitutes... www.ultimatefirearms.com

I'm waiting on its build now and hope to have it as soon as the snow depths drop to a manageable level. Probably end of March or April.
WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS GET ONE MUZZLELOADER THAT WILL SHOT 800 YDS. With smokeless and 500 to 7 with BH 209. I would think a smokeless rifle would take more pressure then a BH 209 WOULD. You would think some gun smith could build one. At 3,000 to 4,000 dallers. Then you could hunt anywhere. Joe
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NE MI and a lake with no fish
Posts: 409
Re: smokeless or BH-209

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS GET ONE MUZZLELOADER THAT WILL SHOT 800 YDS. With smokeless and 500 to 7 with BH 209. I would think a smokeless rifle would take more pressure then a BH 209 WOULD. You would think some gun smith could build one. At 3,000 to 4,000 dallers. Then you could hunt anywhere. Joe
IMO, unless there's some magic out there that hasn't been found yet, you're not going to get that range, or rather the required energy, from BH209. From what I can find, it appears that once you get over 140grs (V) of BH, it starts throwing bullets all over. I do know you can shoot BH from some smokeless builds but, it has its limits.

I believe if you want something to shoot smokeless, you should become a member here Home | Doug's Message Boards and talk with the guys that are well known for building smokeless muzzleloaders. Luke, Bill and others will give you real answers on what the different rifle's capabilities are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boncarbo,Colorado
Posts: 115
Re: smokeless or BH-209

its called a centerfire with a nice expensive scope to make it easier for you to shoot big game.

Lazy Slob shooters are what give real hunters a bad name.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: polson MT.
Posts: 678
Re: smokeless or BH-209

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
its called a centerfire with a nice expensive scope to make it easier for you to shoot big game.

Lazy Slob shooters are what give real hunters a bad name.
You are a lot of help. I do shoot centerfires waaaaaaaaaay out there. BUll elk one shot cold bore 1155 yd. buck 1065 cold bore one shoot on an on and on. I thinks this fourm is long range hunting. I know there are people shooting shooting game at real long range with muzzleloaders so if you cant. Then just stand back and let some body do it. Thanks for your HELP. joe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC