Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Scorpion Bullet Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Scorpion Bullet Performance

I just got some 300gr scorpion pt gold bullets to try out in my T/C prohunter. How do they perform on deer size game? I think with some tweaking I can just about get a one ragged hole group @ 100 yards with them, so I'm excited about that. I just don't know anyone who has actually taken any game with them. Who has hunted with them and how do you like them?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Scorpion Bullet Performance

120 grains of Blackhorn 209 yields 1950 fps out of my Knight. Shot a 2" group at 300 yards with it. It stomps whatever it hits.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

My little brother has shot 2 deer with them and they both dropped in there tracks, I'm taking them on a muley hunt next week!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Let us know how you do. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Well I shot a about a 1.5" group(didnt measure)with 79gr(weight) of bh209. I then tried the 84gr max load and it opened up to about 3" or so. I was hoping to shoot the max load to get more velocity with the 300gr bullet. So, I have a new question now....Am I better off to stick with the 250gr sst @2050fps or the 300 scorpion @ 1850fps? I can get either load to shoot about an inch group @ 100 yards. I normally would not be shooting at a deer much past 100 yards but would like to have the best option loaded if that shot had to be up to 200 yards.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiedan View Post
Well I shot a about a 1.5" group(didnt measure)with 79gr(weight) of bh209. I then tried the 84gr max load and it opened up to about 3" or so. I was hoping to shoot the max load to get more velocity with the 300gr bullet. So, I have a new question now....Am I better off to stick with the 250gr sst @2050fps or the 300 scorpion @ 1850fps? I can get either load to shoot about an inch group @ 100 yards. I normally would not be shooting at a deer much past 100 yards but would like to have the best option loaded if that shot had to be up to 200 yards.
Either or will have enough energy at 200yds. The key is knowing where the bullet is going to hit at your self-imposed maximum range. I've not shot the scorpion but have shot the SST and don't care for them or its brother with the different color polymer tip, the Shockwave. If you're going to shoot 79grs of BH209, there should be no problem with ANY quality bullet and complete pass thru at 200yds. I only use Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets and last year I took two deer, one at 191yds and one at 203 yds with both complete pass thru and no more than 35 yd tracking jobs.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

I've have used the 250sst for the past 10 years or more and have never had an issue. I used the barnes one year because the gun I was using only liked them. I shot a doe at 200 yards with the barnes and it only punched a small hole going in and a small hole going out, no expansion . No blood trail and it was behind the front shoulder right where I wanted it to go. I found the deer a week later doing another small drive through the timber. I couldn't find the deer from the week before because we ran 20 to 25 deer through the timber and couldn't get on the trail. The 250sst might explode on impact like some have said however I have not had that issue. It does a good job of tearing stuff up and making sure you have a good blood trail to follow. I would rather have a blood trail to follow than two holes on a deer.

With that all said I believe it all depends on shot placement, every bullet works some prefer barnes over sst or vice versa. IMHO, I don't believe the all coper bullets expand well (unless you prefer high shoulder shots) therefore the sst works better for me. This year I will be pushing them at 2600fps and we will see what they do for me at that speed.

Good luck and remember it is about shot placement.