Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Sabot residue cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sabot residue cleaner

Thanks Encore! Yes I was using T7, first loose then pellets. I also use the Barnes MZ bullets. I will get her Clean and then try the BH209. Do they make pellets or strictly loose powder? My gun is the Rem 700 ML with the 209 conversion.

Thanks!!!!
Tim
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Thanks Encore! Yes I was using T7, first loose then pellets. I also use the Barnes MZ bullets. I will get her Clean and then try the BH209. Do they make pellets or strictly loose powder? My gun is the Rem 700 ML with the 209 conversion.

Thanks!!!!
Tim
They do not make pellets. BH209 is cylindrical powder, just like some centerfire powders. It cleans up with just Hoppe's or Montana Extreme-Blackhorn 209 cleaner.

I'm not familiar with the Remington, having never had one but, I highly suggest you contact Western/Blackhorn 209 and discuss its use in that firearm. I know that many have made different modifications and the Remington shoots it well. Although the posters who answer a lot of questions on www.modernmuzzleloader.com are old Knight users and many are machinists, I've read on that site what shooters have done with the Remington to shoot BH209 effectively. It IS NOT recommended for plunger rifles, which many have found out the hard way, buy pulling pieces of primer out of their foreheads.
120grs. VOLUME is a MAXIMUM CHARGE and NOT 150GRS as many rifles state will shoot.

I highly recommend that you read all the different pages on this link: Blackhorn 209 They provide a contact number and I suggest you contact them about shooting it out of your Remington. Also, visit modern muzzleloader and search there for what some have done for modifications. Regardless what some may say and/or their luck with shooting BH209 and using regular 209 primers, for consistent ignition and recommended by the manufacturer, either the CCI209M or Federal 209A primers, both MAGNUM primers should be used for consistent ignition. Especially in cold weather.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

OK will do, thanks for the heads up! I will do some research before I do anything. The Rem I have has a bolt and the primer is totally enclosed.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Hey Encore, have you had any problems with shelf life? As much as you shoot, I'd expect not. Just trying to remember one of our guys had a powder, maybe just a similar name, that didn't do good from one year to the next.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighKnob View Post
Hey Encore, have you had any problems with shelf life? As much as you shoot, I'd expect not. Just trying to remember one of our guys had a powder, maybe just a similar name, that didn't do good from one year to the next.
I don't normally have it around that long. However it is my understanding that if its kept in a dry area with the lid secure, its shelf life will last as long as any centerfire propellants. I have one guy that shoots here, that's still on his second bottle and its at least 3 yrs old. Yup, he's one of those guys that once he hits the target, he feels he's already to go.... If I could ever get his permission, I have a great video of him doing EXACTLY what I told him NOT to do. His reaction after shooting, sure shows it We were shooting 200yds that day and after he got through ranting, he told ME what he did wrong.

If I were shooting pellets, a box would never be shot from the season before.

Be a great day to shoot here today but,,,,,,,, both the wife and I have "same day" doctor appts. Although we both had the flu shots (no pun intended) over 2 months ago, it isn't working for this strain......... Sucks, fever and chills and lungs that feel like they're on fire! When I wake up, I pick this thing up....... :(
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM

The rem 700ml is not made to shoot BH209 it is a plunger gun the primer will blow out you need to upgrade your bolt with the hunter bolt kit he has two one a smokers kit and a smokeless kit and there one fine kit and go here to find Doug's Message Boards - Home are go here and talk to luke. Arrowhead Sporting Goods LLC he has the parts for you.