Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Sabot residue cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Sabot residue cleaner

Guys,
What have you found to be the best for cleaning out sabot residue?

Thanks
Tim
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sabot residue cleaner

Know of guys using acetone and other such stuff. Many now use just shotgun wad cleaner that they get from Brownells.

I sometime shoot hundreds of rounds a month and have only made the attempt to clean one rifle, of what I was thinking was sabot residue. Spent a lot of time, only to end up not liking the results.

Sabots are made much better than earlier when they were first marketed. I have in the neighborhood of over 2,000 rounds through my Pro Hunter and I have no intention of doing anything other than more shooting and a normal cleaning.

Last edited by ENCORE; 01-07-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Can't spell........
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Is there a preferred sabot that is less likely to melt on ignition? seems like all my build up comes with in 3" of breech.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

I've tried acetone, but with little success. How do you guys clean the ring in front of the powder charge when using 209's (at least that's what I think it is).
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

I'm going to take a guess on this..... if you're experiencing a "ring" or, anything you may believe may be similar, it isn't the sabot melting. Its your propellant, which upon making an assumption only, is Triple 7. T7 is known for creating the "dreaded crud ring". It is necessary to swab between each shot with one "spit patch" or, some soak them in Windex. Then dry with a couple patches, using both sides. Some T7 shooters reduce the load, which they claim reduces the crud ring.

I personally stayed away from T7 prior to the availability of BH209 and used Pyrodex. Since BH209 became available, its all I shoot. I shoot the heck out of mine and I have no problem with sabot build up. Back in the day, some shooters used to bring up the issue but, rarely is it brought up any more.

Sabots have changed significantly over the years, along with the different composites used in making them. I happen to shoot Barnes bullets, specifically the 250gr TMZ and have "0" concern with sabot build up.

If you feel the need, I'd probably suggest the shotgun wad plastic cleaner from Brownell's.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

Not to steal this tread, it was me asking about the ring. No I shoot black powder (3f) and have all along, but this is the first rifle that uses 209's and the first with a ring?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighKnob View Post
Not to steal this tread, it was me asking about the ring. No I shoot black powder (3f) and have all along, but this is the first rifle that uses 209's and the first with a ring?
Yes it will happen with both 2f and Pyrodex. T7 is actually really bad for creating the crud ring at the point of ignition and it builds up very quickly. What you are experiencing is the crud ring build up from the ignition of the propellant and the hotter 209 primer. Can't get away from swabbing between each shot with any other propellant than Blackhorn 209.