Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Remington Genesis for $99?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington Genesis for $99?

Actually the cam locks so there is no way for it to get hung up on anything. If you can land this gun for that money you would be crazy not to. I own one and love the performance this ML offers. I can go into detail if you like!

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRG View Post
Actually the cam locks so there is no way for it to get hung up on anything. If you can land this gun for that money you would be crazy not to. I own one and love the performance this ML offers. I can go into detail if you like!
I would like details! I am a new owner of a genesis ML and was wondering if anyone outfitted it with a scope yet. Does anyone know what type of scope mounts I should get for this ML. I have heard conflicting info on the height of mounts needed. Don't really know where to start any help would be appreciated! Do you need to know the model of scope to be used?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM

I was looking on cabella's website and found these which people seemed to say worked with the ML. Would have liked something in camo as my scope and ML are camo.....If anyone else can find something maybe in camo or that would serve better please post!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Chemforever

The barrel is built at the Traditions factory for Remington under Remington specifications. I found that the base mounts are the same as Traditions newer model muzzelloaders but I can't remember which ones. The scope rings are 1" Weaver style. A local gun shop I use sometimes "but only in a pinch" found them in a catalog they use and thought they might work and as we looked at the package it actually listed the Genesis on the back but not in the catalog.

I was also looking for camo bases and rings but at the time they were hard to come by and needed to be ordered and I didn't want to wait for them so I went with a flat black set. To be honest with you I kind of like them better. It gives the rifle a tactical look. They match the metal action / trigger area and the barrel sights pretty good. I found rings that are over/unders so I could use the iron sights at close range if need be. I would get as low a profile ring as you can or the scope will sit a tad high.

There is one thing you will need to watch for concerning the cam lock. If the rifle is tipped forward to-wards the ground the firing pin in the cam will slide forward prevent it from opening or closing. If you haven't shot the rifle yet it may not happen now, but after you fire it, it will. Tipping the barrel up-wards will allow it to open and close. I thought this would be a problem but as long as you know about it, it hasn't been. Thats the only thing I don't like about the rifle. Accuracy is there as long as you keep it clean and use a powder like Blackhorn 209 or Triple seven.

Do yourself a favor and "Break-in the barrel" properly or you will never be happy with it or any other rifle for that matter. Most hunters / shooters don't believe it is necessary but they are dead wrong! Any new rifle barrel needs to be what is call "Home registered". If you need further explanation of this let me know. I can also give you a load I shot with mine you could try if your interested.

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.