Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Pro hunter FX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Pro hunter FX

I just ordered my first muzzle loader. Ive been pouring over threads in here for a couple nights now and have read a ton of good stuff. What I havent found is anything about the FX specifically. Does anybody have one? What do you think? what can ya tell me? I plan on starting with 209 and 250g Barnes TMZ's.

Thanks in advance Mark
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Pro hunter FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforlunkers View Post
I just ordered my first muzzle loader. Ive been pouring over threads in here for a couple nights now and have read a ton of good stuff. What I havent found is anything about the FX specifically. Does anybody have one? What do you think? what can ya tell me? I plan on starting with 209 and 250g Barnes TMZ's.

Thanks in advance Mark
I know of a lot of people that have them and are just estatic about how well they shoot. It appears that more and more T/C muzzleloaders, who never intend to switch barrels, are turning to the FX.

Optics are a huge contributing factor to consider. Purchase the best you can afford with good glass. Each of us may have our preference but, Nikon or Lepould IMO are the best. I had the choice of either and bought the Nikon Monarch. Liked it so much, that I bought an identical second (2.5-10x50).

Guys that I talk to and are shooting the FX, are shooting between 100 and 110grs VOLUME of BH209, using CCI209M primers. Many appear to be very satisfied with 100grs V. Of course your rifle will tell you which is best. If you're not aware, when shooting BH209, make sure you have a 1/8" (T/C) drill bit that you can clean the carbon build up out of the flame channel with. You only TURN IT BY HAND after a shooting session. Carbon from the primers will build up in the flame channel, which sooner or later will affect performance. You'll know when you reach the bottom of the flame channel. Some prefer to clean it out after around 15 shots but, I've fired up to 30 rounds before chipping it out.

Good luck with your new rifle, have fun and be safe.

The TMZ is a good choice of bullet but, if the bore is tight you may want to switch to the T-EZ, until you get the rifle broke in and the machine marks out of the rifle.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks Encore, any your buddies done the Bellm trigger yet? Is the trigger identical to a reg prohunter?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforlunkers View Post
Thanks Encore, any your buddies done the Bellm trigger yet? Is the trigger identical to a reg prohunter?
I've been doing the triggers and many other things to Encore platform rifles for years. Yes, you can do the trigger jobs to the frame also, including putting the HD locking bolt spring, HD hammer spring, HD fireing pin spring. She should shoot good for you. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 PM

I've done trigger jobs on Encore frames but never the FX. How did you get the hinge pin out? It's pressed in and I can't get it out.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I've done trigger jobs on Encore frames but never the FX. How did you get the hinge pin out? It's pressed in and I can't get it out.
It does appear that some can be taken apart easily, just like any other Encore platform rifle but, it also appears that they may have splined the pin with a pressed fit. I don't own one but, know a person that he and his dad both do. His dad's barrel and frame seperate just like anyother. However, his is splined. His dad has changed his hinge pin, but he's dealing with one with some minor slop. He states that the slop hasn't been significent enough to affect his accuracy that bad but, he's working on a change. He's hunting right now, so he says he won't be tinkering with the rifle until all the Michigan seasons are over (Jan 1st).

I've sent out a couple emails to a couple professionals concering why the difference. I don't expect answers until after the weekend. But, when they respond, I'll post it.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Received a message back today and was told that yes they will come out but.... its not easy. It is pressed in. If one has trouble getting it out and is determined, then both the hole in the frame and barrel would most likely need reamed for a different removable pin.

It appears also, that some of the rifles can be pretty sloppy. One person I know, sent his rifle back to T/C (for what ever reason) and when it came back, the barrel to frame was sloppy.

Its best to do just the trigger job..........