Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Peeps vs open sights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Peeps vs open sights.

I am thinking about replacing the open sights on my Savage ML-II with Williams peeps. Is the accuracy advantage worth it? How is the field of view? How are they in low light? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Peeps vs open sights.

Well, I would expect that you will get answers to both sights work well for some folks. I prefer open sights as I have shot both. I find the peeps more accurate, however, you can't see them very well in low light. AND, since I am getting older, my sight sucks. I can spot a elk at 20 miles, I just can't read! So, the open sights work better for me and I shoot a traditional muzzleloader. Here are a couple of bucks taken with open sights the last couple of years.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Peeps vs open sights.-all-photos-card-reader-one-041.jpg   Peeps vs open sights.-all-photos-card-reader-one-988.jpg  

Peeps vs open sights.-all-photos-card-reader-one-990.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

I switched to peeps a number of years back and really like them. I use a very large aperture and it works well in dark elk timber as well as on the plains. My Hawken has a silver blade front and using irons with it remains pretty good as I age. But for me, peeps on muzzleloaders is where it is at.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Peep/Aperture sites are best for round targets, and open/blade sights are best for hunting.

Aperture sights can be adjusted for size and help with light and clarity, but when hunting
they tend to make the hunter shoot center mass (A possible gut shot) but the blade/aperture
type does not, so they are best for hunting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the help. I had decided I was going to try some Williams peep sights but after over a week of trying to talk to someone at Williams about what pieces I needed for my Savage to no avail I have given up. I will stick with the open sights for this season. I am still interested in others opinions as I may try some peeps later.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

I run Williams peeps on my iron sighted MLs. They work fine, especially with the integrated fiber optic dots. I have them on my T/C 44mag Deerhunter as well. Out to ~100-120 yds, as far as I plan to shoot with these guns, they are excellent.

With a rear peep and a front globe, there is absolutely nothing about these sights that makes one shoot center of mass. Your eye centers the front sight in the rear aperture, and you sight the gun in so the bullet impacts the point at the top of the front globe.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM

I put Williams peeps on my Henry and they work fine for me. My accuracy stays about the same but I can acquire my target faster.