Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Optimum Barrel Lengths for Long Distance Muzzleloader Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Optimum Barrel Lengths for Long Distance Muzzleloader Hunting

Charlieduece65,

If legal where you hunt, absolutely go smokeless. Get yourself a Savage ML and load it up with 300gr Barnes Originals, 58 gr Vihtovouri N120. The key to accuracy with muzzleloaders is the barrel fit with the sabot. You want a snug fit. I use Harvester Black Crushed Rib sabots. This load in my rifle is going 2,200 fps and is MOA or less to 300 yards. AA5744 is also a good powder.
The great thing about the smokeless muzzleloader is that you can put 100 rounds down the tube before cleaning. My Savage has a 26" varmint stock barrel. I did bed the receiver.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIEDUECE65 View Post
Hello,

I would like any advice on barrel lengths for Muzzleloading. I have a TC Encore presently with the qla removed and barrel target crowned. I also have the EABCO accuracy hinge pin installed and it is scoped. It shoots "good" out to 150 yards then gets kinda wild. I worked up the loads with triple 7 loose powder and currently shooting 300 gr hornady sabots with 115 grains of powder. I have used PRbullets in the past and really liked them too. I was thinking about having a custom barrel made either 29" 0r 30" in lengths. Would this give me any more velocity. I know it does with rifle but you dont hear alot about this with muzzle loaders. Thanks for any advice. My intention is to get accuracy out to 200-300 yards. I hunt deer in MN and in the shotgun zone. I am allowed to use a muzzleloader during this season. Due to the long ranges where I hunt I would like to get as much distance as I can. Im thinking I might have to go smokeless.
Using black powder or the substitutes in barrels up to 40'' in a muzzle loader will increase
velocity to some point.

With the cartrige black powder rifles not much is to be gained by going over 34'' in barrel
length.

And as WRG said keeping the bore clean will improve velocity and accuracy.

I have a little trick for both on muzzeloaders that has helped reduce fouling and increased
velocity.

After a very good cleaning I spray MIS MOLLY down the bore and use a bronze bore brush
to spread and even the molly before it dries.

This stuff is tuff to remove but it does double the number of shots I can fire before cleaning.
and with less fouling powder like the triple 7 or Shockeys. it more than triples it.

I hope this helps.
J E CUSTOM
Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 AM

well i read tis post when it first came out and have made sone mods to my ML and now have a 42 green mountain barrel with 1:70 twist and as ive said in other threads hit 6"groups at 500 and have a new chanlenge to work up to and thats 1000 yard with "open site" or traditional and it can be done.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 PM

To WRG,
I'm pretty much hooked on the BlackHorn 209 also. I'd like to recommend the 200g. T/C ShockWave sabot. I'm getting 1.5" groups out to 220yds. I'm using 85grs. of BH.

"KEEPIN MY POWDER DRY"
Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

Hawkeye50ml, I use to shoot the Shockwave until I found the Barnes TMZ. The ballistic tip combined with the boat tail design that the TMZ offers makes for a flatter shooting bullet. However, I discard the sabot that it comes with and use a Harvester High Pressure crush rib sabot "yellow" designed for the boat tail bullet. A far superior sabot that will consistantly drop off at around 9 yards from the barrel with 110 grain charge of Blackhorn. That is another key to accuracy! The longer a sabot hangs on to the bullet the longer it takes that bullet to stabilize in flight. Think about that for a minute! Almost every sabot I have tried drops off from 20 to 40 yards down range. If you study your sabot and what it's doing you can understand more of why you have periodic fliers. All other sabots when they open up tend to from time to time will either break off a pedal or bend the pedals all the way back or bend them back on just one side. The sabot I use consistantly opens the way it was designed, like a parachute and everytime without fail. No other sabot works as consistantly as the Harvester and consistancy is the biggest key to accuracy.

This is a test that I did a while back and posted on another site I am a member of.

AmmoGuide Interactive Forum

Have a look and you will get a better understanding of what I am taking about. My screen name is M700P on this site.

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.