Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Optimum Barrel Lengths for Long Distance Muzzleloader Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Optimum Barrel Lengths for Long Distance Muzzleloader Hunting

Hello,

I would like any advice on barrel lengths for Muzzleloading. I have a TC Encore presently with the qla removed and barrel target crowned. I also have the EABCO accuracy hinge pin installed and it is scoped. It shoots "good" out to 150 yards then gets kinda wild. I worked up the loads with triple 7 loose powder and currently shooting 300 gr hornady sabots with 115 grains of powder. I have used PRbullets in the past and really liked them too. I was thinking about having a custom barrel made either 29" 0r 30" in lengths. Would this give me any more velocity. I know it does with rifle but you dont hear alot about this with muzzle loaders. Thanks for any advice. My intention is to get accuracy out to 200-300 yards. I hunt deer in MN and in the shotgun zone. I am allowed to use a muzzleloader during this season. Due to the long ranges where I hunt I would like to get as much distance as I can. Im thinking I might have to go smokeless.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Optimum Barrel Lengths for Long Distance Muzzleloader Hunting

It has been my experience over the last 30 years of hunting with rifles & ML that the number one key to accuracy is how well you clean your rifle. This is even more important with Muzzelloaders because the fouling is so bad. The best thing you could do for any ML is if it uses a 209 ignition is to convert it to a .25 acp ignition. The 209 primer is over kill to ignite black powder and is not needed. It is so powerful it actually pushes the charge up the barrel 6" to 8" before the charge has a chance to completely burn, this affects accuracy tremendously. The primer also creates so much blow back fouling around the breach, scope rings, and trigger that it makes cleaning a real bummer. There is a breach plug made that is converted from 209 to the .25 acp for the Encore you can buy and will reduce the amount of fouling around the breach by 98%. The only down fall is you will need to get a Lee or RCBS or the like hand held primming tool.

When working up a load at the range, I will clean the barrel spotless after each round. Reason being is, in a hunting situation your first shot will be from a totally clean barrel so why not find the most accurate load with a clean barrel. I also will try every combination of bullet / powder / and grain charge I can afford until I find what my rifle likes best. If your looking for accuracy out to 200 yards you might want to consider a ballistic polymer tipped bullet that uses a sabot with the best BC. Typically a heavier "250 -300 gr" bullet will push through the air further and give you the best accuracy once you can find the best powder charge. Lighter bullets tend to drop of quicker down range resulting in a wider MOA. Understanding what your rifle is telling you is the key. Using a chronograph will help and is the best tool you could own when doing load development.

Muzzelloaders are a great challenge if your up for it. It can take a fair amount of time understanding what your rifle likes if your just getting started but if you don't get discouraged and stick with it you will have a accurate rifle.

Good luck and be safe!

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Sorry, I foregot to mention about you original question and yes a longer barrel will give you a higher velocity. But you also need to consider rifle twist!! I would suggest calling Ernie Stallman at Badger Barrels and ask him. A barrel maker will give you the best answer. WWW.badgerbarrels.com

NRA life Member

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Go smokeless, it's as close to a centerfire as it gets! Follow similar cleaning routine as a centerfire, dial your range/wind, kill to 300yds+.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info, i have had the prbullet 25 acp breech plug for several years, swapped between it and the factory one, and have experimented with it as well. I do believe it is cleaner. I have used triple seven powder, pellets, jim shockeys gold pellets, and bullet weights from 240-300 gr. I have been muzzleloading for i believe 8 or more yrs now. I guess im still trying to find the perfect load for long distance, i have found good loads out to 150 but looking for more distance. I had found a website that makes smokeless barrels. I believe they use badger barrels for the encore frame with a breech plug included. I understand that is where the weakness is and why they do not want you to use smokeless powder in the standard encore muzzleloader. If anyone has any info on this let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Here's a load I shoot from my Genesis with goods results out to 200 yards (1.77) MOA / 3 round groups with consistency. I get .88 @ 100 yards and 1" @ 150 yards.

I shoot Blackhorn 209 110 gr. by "volume"/ 250 gr. Barnes Spitfire TMZ with the 777 / 209 ignition. I know what I said about the .25 acp. But this is the only powder I use the 209 ignition with. Mostly that is what it was designed for and they don't recommend any other type. Once I find a volume measurement thats working I weight it on my digital scale for a more consistent measurement. Volume measurements are not accurate enough for my liking. I am eclipsing 2000 fps (chronograph) and no over powder has even come close.

Whats nice about the BH 209 is it's non-hygroscopic ( temp/ humidity sensitive) and noncorrosive. It is a little pricey around $40.00 a 10 oz bottle but I feel it's worth it. If you have never tried it I recommend it before spending money on a smokeless barrel.

NRA life Member

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, NICE TO GET INPUT FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE TRIED/EXPERIMENTED WITH POWDERS, BULLETS,PRIMERS AND FOUND OUT WHAT REALLY WORKS. I HAVE SHOT THREE BUCKS I CURRENTLY HAVE ON MY WALL, 2 TEN POINTERS AND AN 8 POINTER WITH MUZZLELOADER. REALLY ENJOY MUZZLELOADING, BUT I DONT TRUST MY MUZZLELOADER LIKE MY RIFLE.