Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Nosler MZ bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Nosler MZ bullets

Traditions Strikerfire with 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 M primers and headed to the 50 yard range to see how the load would perform.

Pros - Outstanding accuracy!
Cons - Unloadable unless I carry my range rod with me into the field.
Cons - Pedals rip off of the sabots after firing.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler MZ bullets

I tried out the 300gr Nosler MZ with 100 grains blackhorn209 out of my Strikerfire at 50 yards. Awesome mushroom and the copper jacket IS a true jacket as it is very thick and peels back like a barnes.

Recovery weight is so so. Sand is tougher than flesh but gives you a decent idea. Next time I can use a wetter sand which should give more realistic results.

143 grains main body weight, add in the fragments I found around the bullet and it totals 220 grains.

The copper jacket though is very impressive, especially for the cheap price of the bullets.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

That's a decent looking bullet but, breaking into pieces is something I don't care for. It would be interesting to see the results if shot through wet phone books or ballistic gelatin.

Petals breaking off after leaving the barrel can happen with many other bullets and sabot combinations.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM

Petals breaking off is normal for some sabots and in your pic they look good but what about the base of the sabot what do they look like.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

The only time I had petals breaking off was when I was not using high pressure sabots. Apparently I bought a bag of 100 when I was using 240 grain XTP's for deer hunting, cheaper to buy a box of bullets and a bag of sabots. Found out to make sure to get high pressure sabots and maybe Nosler didn't do that.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

Petals breaking or shearing off is not really a problem. That usually occurs after it exits the bore and at that point the job it was intended for is over. A sabot is supposed to provide a tight fit between the numerous differences in actual bore diameter from manufacturer to manufacturer and even gun to gun from the same builder. It is there to first make a seal of the expanding gases to propel the bullet forward and second to engage the rifling and get both the sabot and encased bullet spinning. As the experts say all sabots are HIGH PRESSURE as that is the conditions that they are subjected. That said I would lose any sleep over what you are seeing on the ground. It is was you are seeing on the target. If there is no indication of "keyholeing" i.e., the bullet tumbling and the accuracy is there, you have no worries. The harder a sabot/bullet combination is to load the more likely you are to see smaller groups. The trick is to find something that loads with manageable ease and still gives the desired accuracy. If a given combo loads real easy I can assure they will not shoot all that well. One thing to remember is barrel heat is the most common killer of sabot failure and poor groups. If you shoot/load to fast you absolutely will compromise the integrity of the sabot. If your barrel is warm to the touch little lone hot to the touch you need to wait. A sabot is plastic and it doesn't take much to soften one and it will not preform as intended. Lay one in the sun on a warm day and compare to one that was kept in the shade and you will get a good grasp of the difference. I shoot smokeless and these issues are even more pronounced because of the additional pressure and heat. That is why more advanced shooters use barrel cooling devices and some move to a higher level and shoot sabotless. I have been in your shoes and had to back off on the powder or find another sabot/bullet combo that will load reasonably so it is user friendly in the field allowing for followup/multiple shots. There are several places that now cater to this kby selling sample packs of bullets and sabots to try with minimal investment. If I can help you get hooked up let me know. Rickster
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

Rickster, good post!
I agree, I look at the target, that's what counts.
I may try some of these in my Encore which has a Bergara tube as it seems to be a little loose with some sabots.