Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

new to black powder have some????????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

new to black powder have some????????????

i have been kicking around the idea of buying a black powder rifle. but i don't know any thing about them. so what rifle should i get to start hunting with. i have never been one to go half way. i would rather spend the money on the best out there to start with. i would want a scope on it so give me some ideas.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: new to black powder have some????????????

I'd go with the savage ML10-II. You can use smokeless powder and avoid all the hassles of pyrodex and other black powder subs. What state are you in or do you plan to hunt? Some states do not allow smokeless.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on Smokeless!

How serious are you going to shoot, and how much do you want to spend?

The Savage is an excellent out of the box rifle and will sub MOA - under 2 MOA depending on how much time and effort you put in on load development. Some complain about the weight and if you hunt mountainous terrain then a tactical sling is in order OR a lighter smokeless like the NULA which comes in at a little more than 1/2 the weight and twice the price.....and more felt recoil [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edge.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Edge, that NULA is an awesome rifle. I didn't mention it because of the price tag. The Savage laminate is a good stock, but is heavy - 8.75 lbs. The plastic tupperware stock sucks, but the gun is a pound lighter at 7.75 lbs.

For a first timer, I'd go with the savage smokeless. However, if you are not going to go smokeless, the I'd go with a knight or TC. Those 2 are the best smokepoles.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

i live in hot,dry,flat ***** texas. i don't mind spending the money i just want to it one time. as i don't think i will need more than one BP rifle. i'm would like to use it for out of state hunting. what is the difference betten the savage and a tc,night. i love all of the savage rifles i have(10 of them ). i don't know any thing about these rifles. thanks for the help
Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Jeff, the knight an TC only shoot black powder or black powder subs (such as pyrodex). The Savage and the NULA can shoot either BP or smokeless powder. The main advantages to smokeless is that it is non-corrosive so you don't have to clean everytime you shoot it and you get better velocities for a flatter shooting rifle.

I you are not shooting smokeless then the savage would be a waste since they do not shoot BP as good as knight or TC.

The NULA is a great rifle, but is overkill. The savage will shoot 1" @ 100 yards the NULA can give you some bugholes but at 300 yard max shots it doesn't matter. You will also wait a long time for a NULA.

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

savage mack a fine shooting rifle so i would think the savage ML would be a great way for me to go. what will a good set up cost me and where's the best place to look.