Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Need muzzleloader help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need muzzleloader help please

Wow im amazed.....bore butter is great, cleanup is a breeze, just use not quite boiling water pour it down the barrel melts it and cleans it right out, if you want the best way to clean and season and shoot your smokepole do it like this guy.
Seasoning key to muzzleloader care* - Outdoors - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Tc no 13 is great, just make sure your using non petroleum based cleaners, and it dont get no easier.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

I have 3 smoke sticks all 54 caliber Hawkens. One is barreled for bullets only (1in32 twist) cap lock, shoot 100 grains of holy black with a 450 grain bullet. I can tell U when U touch that off it gets your attention real quick. One is a Hawken cap lock that is rifled for patch round ball only 1 in 60 twist, and one is a Hawken flint lock in 54 that I built and is rifled for patch round ball only with a 1 in 66 twist. When target shooting I clean between shots with alcohol (rubbing) or windshield washing fulid or ballastol. Just run a slightly wet patch down the bore followed by a dry one. When I clean at the end of a shooting session I use warm soapy water and rinse with warm clean water until my patches come out clean. Run some dry patches through then coat the bore with sweet oil, (olive oil what the old timers used) or WD40. store the rifle muzzle down. As for bullet lube on my 450 grain pills I use a 50-50 mix of bees wax and salt free shorting. When the weather gets hot out I cut down on the shortening and use a little more bees wax. If I am using a black powder substitute such as trip 7, pyrodex, my cleaning regime is the same as for holy black. Hope this helps.

Cheers & Tighter Groups Eaglesnester in northern B.C. Canada
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Bronze Member

cheers guys, ive been having a lot of trouble getting bore butter here though, as in no one seems to want to import it. So at this stage I'm just looking at substitutes.

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone using "white hots" pellets. I've heard there is little smoke and very little cleaning necessary?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

WAGH! Bore butter is for suckers that fall for phony things, just like those that use frog lube to keep their ar's firing.

Bore butter is nothing more than a food grade lubricant and its waxy formula only builds up to ruin a rifles accuracy over time and is a horrible protectant against rust.

You can not "season" a modern steel barrel. Its not cast iron.

The best thing to do is dump bore butter Period, flush your bore out with boiling hot water to melt what ever crud is in there that bore turd left behind and then follow up with a quality gun oil. I love barricade.

The myth about petro oils being bad is a bunch of mumbo jumbo. ANY LUBE you put down the bore during storage MUST come out prior to loading it. This means using something strong like brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol, gun scrubber, something that will cut through the grease/oil easily to remove it. This includes the same manor when using bore butter.

Patch lube is the most important thing when using patched round balls. Bore butter is an alright lube for patches but there are many other better lubes such as moose milk, mr flintlocks patch lube, mink oil, even olive oil mixed with a tiny bit of bees wax provides much better lubrication than what bore butter offers.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Anyone using "white hots" pellets. I've heard there is little smoke and very little cleaning necessary?
72 pellets for $29 VS $26 for 100 T7 pellets.

Whitehots produce less velocity than T7 pellets by a great deal. IMO they only decrease the crud ring simply because they are not as hot as T7. A cooler primer like the winchester 777 or cci inline MZL primer is best suited using using T7 to keep the crud ring down.

So basically no, with the right primers you can get lucky to load a few shots before needing to clean. If you want the best powder made for an inline muzzleloader, provided that your inline is suited for it, Blackhorn209 is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, thanks.