Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Need muzzleloader help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need muzzleloader help please

It's "gel" BTW not jell

With the prostituting of America by the current administration, lets, at least, use proper terminology and correct spelling....just say'in.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

I got away from the soap and water years ago but it does work. I use T/C #13 bore cleaner and patches. Don't forget to get around where the primer sits. I even find I need to clean the underside of the scope. Use anti-seize grease on the breech plug and then use bore butter before you store your ML. Place the barrel down as in hot weather the butter turns liquid and runs into the flash hole.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys really appreciate the help, not long now till I get my baby!

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

I don't use bore butter, most don't anymore but, if that's the only lubricant you can find, then use it.

I just cleaned out two Hawken rifles that had set with it in the barrels for 16 years. Picked them up in a garage sale this past summer for $150 for both. Took me six (6) hours to clean that out of two barrels. Ended up plugging the nipples and filled the barrels with brake parts cleaner and let it set to soften it up. It was NOT fun.

Its a good idea to open up the safe and pull the firearms out a couple times between seasons, to lube things. If you're near a saltwater environment, it would pay to do it more often.... Just say'n
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member

I guess the best thing for me being here in Australia is we have 12 month seasons on deer and there are no weapon specific seasons so I can take my bow, muzzy and centrefires out all year round. So it'll never have to sit in the safe for 10 months straight or anything like that.

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

I forgot to mention the only time I use bore butter is for storage. I don't use it for shooting but as a lubricant in the barrel when storing. I also noticed out shooting if the temp is over 90 degrees the bore butter turns to liquid so that is why I store barrel down. Before I shoot it I clean the barrel with clean rags and it only usually sits for 3 months before I shoot it again. I have been doing this since I got this ML in 1997 so figured if it works don't change it. There are probably better items on the market now but one tube of bore butter has lasted me over five years.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Bronze Member

In my opinion, a muzzleloader is easier to clean than a cartridge shooting rifle. I drill out an old nipple, attach a hose on the end and drop the hose in a bucket of hot soapy water. I use dish soap. A few strokes with a patch, a couple of strokes with a brass brush, then more patches. At that point all you have to do is dry the barrel and run an oiled patch down it. I believe your rifle breaks open easier than mine, so you could just stick the muzzle in a plastic bucket of hot soapy water and follow the same procedure.