Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

which muzzeloader to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member
Re: which muzzeloader to buy?

Be Very, very Careful.
click on this and see what I mean.
Muzzleloader Alert

Last edited by jinksnyou; 10-09-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: more info needed

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Old news. Toby has an ax to grind.

I have my own opinion as to what caused the problem. I believe it is user error. At least in the case of the Canadian shooter.
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Almost every brand of rifle has been blown up!

The Savage Is safe when used might even find that Toby still uses a Savage sometimes

Unread 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
If you really want to dump some money into one check these out. Bad Bull Muzzleloaders | Custom Built Long Range Muzzleloaders

That company looks like a RIPOFF joint....

Look at their economy ML the UTL.

It is based on a factory Stevens 200, with factory stock and trigger and NO bedding.

All they appear to do is add a Shilen Barrel and Muzzle Brake.

.....and all for the Bargain Price of $2600. ROFLMFAO....
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

I Started with Knight and when I couldent make consistant kills at 150 yards. I bought a Savage 10ml. The claims of MOA out to 300 yards all day long with the stock Savage are stretching it a bit. I have shot some 3" groups at 300 yards but they are hard to come by. I have since replaced the stock barrell with a Pac nor Custom 45 Cal and Now 3 shot groups of 1 1/2 at 100 yards are what I can expect on average. I have no problems taking head shots on deer out to 150 yards, The last 4 shots I took with the gun ended up with 3 head shots and a 1 shot 260 yard kill. The gun has a 407$ barrell a Custom trigger and is piller bedded the 3" groups at 300 yards are still very tough to make. If you buy the savage and take the time to learn how to handle it, and there is a lot to learn, you will be very happy. This website has all the info you need
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

If you want to shoot long range you have two good options...the T/C with a Bergara 45 caliber barrel or the CVA 45 caliber...only use Blackhorn 209 loose powder, powerbelt bullets and Fioochi friend just shot a 200yd group that could be covered with a small paper plate..scope was Bushnell DOA..if anyone has questions on blackpowder accuracy testing please email me and I will give you my friends email address...thanks, good luck..ElDee
Unread 05-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

OK, my 2 cents worth. I believe I would go for the Savage smokeless if legal in your state. I have had on for as long as I can remember. I bought mine when the inventor Hery Ball was building some what custom Savages and marking them 1-500 and signed by the inventore H. ball. I remember all the hoop la over toby bridges blowing one up. If Savage thought that thier rifle was some what a risk they wouldn't continue selling them I sight mine in every year and the accuracy stays the same, I seenothing under a magnifing glass that suggest a potential hazard and I have shot mine atleast 1000 times or more. I had an axil fly out from under my new pick up truck so does that make all trucks a potential for this happening NO, Ford gave me a new truck. They said there is no explanation for this Go figure. Ok, here is more of my 2 cents. I had a Thompson Encore ML'er that was a VG shooter, But I got t5ired of cleaning. One thing I would like to emphasize. Blow back into the trigger area which left uncleaned at some point the spings will corrode and give way. So I would suggest periodic cleaning of the frame. At 73 I spend alot of time at the computer so I'll shut up and give it a break Lou