close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

which muzzeloader to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

which muzzeloader to buy?

I was wondering for long range, say out to 250-300 yds which off the shelf gun would be best? TC,Knight,Savage,????
    Unread 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
    Platinum Member

Re: which muzzeloader to buy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayran View Post
    I was wondering for long range, say out to 250-300 yds which off the shelf gun would be best? TC,Knight,Savage,????
    I've heard a lot of good words about the smokeless Savages.

I own a couple CVA's and wouldn't recommend them. Here in Nevada we are limited to open sights only. They are good enough for as far as I can shoot with open sights but that's about it.

The Savage would be my next ML.

Unread 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
    Bronze Member

cool i looked on there website like the accutrigger.
    Unread 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
    Platinum Member

If you really want to dump some money into one check these out. Bad Bull Muzzleloaders | Custom Built Long Range Muzzleloaders

Chris
    Unread 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
    Gold Member

My first muzzleloader was a Savage (somehow I ended up with a low serial number from their first run) and I liked it so much that I have 3 of them now.

You don't have to clean them every day, and you can shoot a whole range of bullet sizes and weights. You can load them down for small stature shooters, or load them up for bigger stuff. Feral hogs really don't like a .458" 350g Barnes "X' bullet @ 2300 fps!
    Unread 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
    Platinum Member

If smokeless is legal where you hunt, I wouldn't buy anything but a Savage ML.
    I have one and have developed a load w/300gr Barnes original bullets that will shoot MOA or less to 300 yards. They are great muzzleloaders.
    Unread 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM

i realy like my Roling block winchester 54 (replica) and with the open sites on the bench pull 6'' groups at 300 yards now because im origonaly from Nevada i ordered the long range rear site like the Bodine site and hit a 55 gal drum at 500 yards most of the time. there are lots of muzzleloaders out there and you need to find one that fits you i have had a few and the rolling block is the best that I have had my plainsman was alright but for it to shoot the range that i wanted needed a different barrel find one for you.

Last edited by nate270; 05-09-2009 at 01:31 PM.