Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Long range muzzle loaders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long range muzzle loaders

Thanks guys.

Order yourself one, then you can "Putem in a pile at a quarter mile" too.

That target is PROOF........ Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

Boy would I have liked to had something like this 40 years ago.......
Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 PM

I know this May be changing the subject. But I have a .45 cal Thompson center hawken. Has anyone tried to push a hawken to shoot long range? If so what is your recipe? I haven't shot it much but I do plan on pushing it. I put an adjustable rear peep sight on it. Just wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction? What mold to use? And so on?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

of course you can, I had a deer creek northwest rifle 45cal years ago and 200 yards was fun! 80gr 3f triple 7 and a 225gr powerbelt was deadly accurate.

Now days my 200 yarder in the works is a 58cal CVA Hawken. Im taking her on her first hunt August 16th for bear
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

I have a problem with my long range muzzle loader, Maybe some one could help. I found a builder from this post (Joe Goble in Ohio) who would build one for me. I talked to him extensively and struck a deal to have a long range muzzle loader built on a Remington 700 action for $1400 plus extras. I sent Joe Goble my $700 down payment and now he won't return my phone calls, texts , emails or my deposit. Any helpful ideas would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Sorry I can't help you there... I would probably make a trip to see Mr. Goble in person and find out what is really going on! Has anyone pushed their t/c hawken or renegade 45 out past 200yds. If so how did you do it? What recipe?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

Chip getting long range accuracy really boils down to how well your rifle will stabilise a bullet with a high enough BC to enable you to shoot long range in the first place.

Most muzzleloaders will have a 1:66 or 1:48 twist rate which is not conductive to shooting really far.

Now if you have a rifle with 1:22 to 1:16 twist rate which will stabilise a 480 to 585gr .45 cal bullet you're in the pound seat. Only down side to this will be the stock design on the Hawken , was not designed to dampen the recoil with heavy (90 to 110gr of powder) and as a result the recoil will be much more than a push.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolusworld View Post
I have a problem with my long range muzzle loader, Maybe some one could help. I found a builder from this post (Joe Goble in Ohio) who would build one for me. I talked to him extensively and struck a deal to have a long range muzzle loader built on a Remington 700 action for $1400 plus extras. I sent Joe Goble my $700 down payment and now he won't return my phone calls, texts , emails or my deposit. Any helpful ideas would be very much appreciated.

He has a facebook page. That may be him too, rather active at Ohio game fishing.com. I'd step up your contact efforts, then go out to people he knows, family, wife, whoever. If he has a real job, call his boss.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.goble.180/about

Hopefully you get some resolution. I stack deer up just fine with my Knight Elites. The new Mountaineer is fine too.