Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Knight vs Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Knight vs Savage

I got lucky and found exactly what I was looking for. It's an unfired Savage 10ML-II stainless laminate thumbhole. It should be here next week!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 AM
Bronze Member

Deertroy, Nice Choice, I'll be picking up my Savage in a couple of weeks, Nice job finding the laminate stock. Mine will have the standard savage (POS) plastic. there are a few aftermarket stock makers for the ML II so I'll wind up going that way. Keep in touch as you develop loads for it, I'll do the same.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
Although I haven't shot Knight rifles in years, myself I'd rather have the Mountaineer over the Ultra. I would prefer the longer barrel for heavier charges of BH209 and a little more weight to help absorb the recoil.
Neither....CVA Accura V2 or a CVA Optima switch barrel. Less expensive, much better tubes and an overall easy rifle to deal with (V2). No brainer far as I'm concerned.

Today, a better for less deal is hard to pass up.

Switch the standard breech plug to a recessed (granulated powder Western Powder plug) and shim the pin retainer (I suggest a smith for that) and you have a perfect shooting rifle for an extra 20 bucks. I load TMZ's with 100 grains of Blackhorn and it's a tack driver at 100 yards. Even optics are reasonable and the CVA's come with a scope mount on the rifle (check the mount screws and retorque). I use a Nikon Realtree 6-9, 300 bucks all day, any day.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleavitt View Post
Deertroy, Nice Choice, I'll be picking up my Savage in a couple of weeks, Nice job finding the laminate stock. Mine will have the standard savage (POS) plastic. there are a few aftermarket stock makers for the ML II so I'll wind up going that way. Keep in touch as you develop loads for it, I'll do the same.
I will.