Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Knight vs Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Bronze Member

Knight vs Savage

I've never owned a muzzleloader but due to increased hunting opportunity I'm looking to purchase a new muzzleloader for hunting deer. I've narrowed my decision to a Savage 10MLII, a Knight Mountaineer Extreme, or a Knight Ultralight. I'd probably prefer the Savage but it's no longer available in stainless. It will be used primarily out to a maximum of 150 yds.
Any thoughts on these two?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Knight vs Savage

Although I haven't shot Knight rifles in years, myself I'd rather have the Mountaineer over the Ultra. I would prefer the longer barrel for heavier charges of BH209 and a little more weight to help absorb the recoil.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

I'd take the Knight over the Savage, just my personal preference. I have a few of the older Knight M-L's, Extremes & Elites, work just superbly.

I was just out a week ago fine tuning my Knight Elite 45 cal with some Blackhorn 209. I take it over my shotgun slug gun when required by the regs.

I'm less familiar with the newer offerings from Knight. All the reviews I read are very good though. No matter what you end up getting, clean the gun well after shooting. You can go a few days with Blackhorn 209.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Have you looked at the CVA Accura V2 yet? I recently purchased one for around $380 in camo and I love it. The thing outshot my T/C and my buddies T/C and is easier to clean and unload. Even after 20 shots of not cleaning it loads easy and was easy to remove the breech plug. I liked it so much I sold the T/C.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

i've got a knight disc extreme and a wolverine. i've also got a TC omega, and have had a prohunter.

i hated the break-action prohunter, and will never own another one. the knight's i have, and the new ones i've fondled are really nice firearms. high quality, both of mine are shooters with BH209 and a wide array of bullets. the older ones have timney triggers, which are light years ahead of the TC triggers by design.

is the savage MLII, the smokeless one? i'd like to try a smokeless, but haven't gotten around it yet. they would definitely have a range advantage over a non-smokeless knight.

i couldn't recommend a knight over a savage, cause i haven't used a savage. but i can tell you you could do worse than a knight.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser View Post
i've got a knight disc extreme and a wolverine. i've also got a TC omega, and have had a prohunter.

i hated the break-action prohunter, and will never own another one. the knight's i have, and the new ones i've fondled are really nice firearms. high quality, both of mine are shooters with BH209 and a wide array of bullets. the older ones have timney triggers, which are light years ahead of the TC triggers by design.

is the savage MLII, the smokeless one? i'd like to try a smokeless, but haven't gotten around it yet. they would definitely have a range advantage over a non-smokeless knight.

i couldn't recommend a knight over a savage, cause i haven't used a savage. but i can tell you you could do worse than a knight.
Always interesting reading the comments about different rifles. I gave up entirely on CVA, sold all my Knights, handed down all my Encores and shoot only my Pro Hunter. I wouldn't trade that Pro Hunter for any custom muzzleloader made. $10.00 worth of parts, 15 minutes of my time, gave me a 1.75# trigger pull, with no creep or over travel. As good as any Timney I've had.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

yeah, different strokes for sure. i think i hate cleaning the break actions worst than anything else about them. mine shot good, but if you got a trigger on a hammer-ed firearm to be as crisp with no creep and no overtravel as a well adjusted timney, you're a better gunsmith than me for sure!