Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Knight Long Range Hunter ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Knight Long Range Hunter ?

Does anyone own one of these and has a laminated stock on it. I have one and it says it has a floating barrel, but my barrel touches the stock on the end enough I cannot get a piece of paper past it. I was wandering if Knight intended for the barrel to touch here or if my stock has a problem. The gun has a acccuracy problem and I noticed this when inspecting it. I left a message with Knights tech help, but I guess there too busy to return my call.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 AM

Re: Knight Long Range Hunter ?

I have a knight LRH. Mine was pretty accurate when I first got it, but the barrel was not free-floating. I contacted knight, and they said it was not meant to be free floated from the factory and that it didn't need it. I then free floated the barrel, and my groups did shrink by a small margin. You stated that yours isn't accurate.. I was shooting 1-1.25 MOA groups before free-floating, the sub MOA after. If yours is terribly innacurate, I would look elsewhere. There is a procedure that knight recomends for fastening the stock to the action that is worthwhile. If this is not done correctly, it will cause you to loose some accuracy.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:44 PM

I Have the same gun and was getting 2in groups are more played with the fit of the barrel and stock and helped some but bedding help the most and floated the barrel 3/4in groups at 100yd are less
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher2072 View Post
I have a knight LRH. Mine was pretty accurate when I first got it, but the barrel was not free-floating. I contacted knight, and they said it was not meant to be free floated from the factory and that it didn't need it. I then free floated the barrel, and my groups did shrink by a small margin. You stated that yours isn't accurate.. I was shooting 1-1.25 MOA groups before free-floating, the sub MOA after. If yours is terribly innacurate, I would look elsewhere. There is a procedure that knight recomends for fastening the stock to the action that is worthwhile. If this is not done correctly, it will cause you to loose some accuracy.
Have never seen or heard of this recomended procedure for fastening the stock to the action. If you don't mind, please share this with me. I talked to the Knight gun smith and he told me some barrels touch and some don't. He also told me only tighten the rear screw enough to keep it from falling out and some are even leaving it out now. If you look at Knights brochure on this gun they claim it has a free floating barrel. Now I'm hearing some are leaving the rear screw out. Sounds to me like the stocks have a quailty issue. I did get my gun to start shooting a 2" group at 100yrds, but I had to leave the rear screw out to do it. Shouldn't have to do that, if it was design right.