Originally Posted by Jeff In TX
What kind or manufacture of black powder do you recommend?
How much powder do I poor down the barrel or is there a device for measuring it...I'm sure there is
What type of bullets should I purchase?
What type of bullet patches do I need...if any??
is there a big difference in percussion caps?
Cleaning supplies...what kind or brand?
Oh yeah and the last question and this is from my youngest who's 16. How much kick should he expect seeing it has no recoil pad?
Looks like everyone has you lined out...I'll add my 2 cents too.
1. 2f Goex powder will do you just fine.
Swiss is a real good powder too but costly...can about buy 2 cans of Goex for the price of one Swiss.
2. Yep...you'll need a good adjustable powder measure for playing.
Like Smitty said too...can make your own out of deer horn later.
One place I've ordered stuff from that you might check out is Welcome to Cain's Outdoor, Muzzleloading Specialists!
3. A .530 roundball is a good place to start. Like Smitty said...Hornady is a good one...til you want to start casting your own.
4. You can buy a bag of factory patches that are already lubed or go to Wal-Mart and buy your own pillow ticking. Alot cheaper.
5. Percussion caps...I use CCI in my caplocks.
6. Cleaning supplies...can't beat hot, soapy water. ;)
Use to take my barrels off...but have gotten lazy and use a flush tube these days. It's an adapter with hose on it. Unscrew the nipple, screw flush tube one in, put the end of the hose in a bucket of hot water and go to pumping. Cain's offers them.
Your son was wondering about kick...load it down til he's comfortable with shooting it.
I've sent many rabbits/squirrels to their maker with reduced loads in both .54 and .50 caliber...35 grs. of 2f and a patched roundball.
Head shot proposition of course.
Smitty also mentioned changing ramrods...that's sound advice. ;)
Save the wooden one for hunting or show. My Lyman sports a brass one full time. That came about after having to have one cut out of my hand in an ER one day. Was a 1 1/2" long piece that broke off between my fingers. Couldn't pull it out...broke off with a barb on it which I found out later. Ruined my day.
Guess this turned into more than 2 cents...good luck with your new rifle.