Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Good load gone bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Good load gone bad?

I have a ML question for anybody out there with some experience. I have a TC prohunter .50 cal, that I found with Blachorn 209shoots exceptionally well. My load-120gr vol with a 200gr TC shockwave and a winshester primer. In the fall of 2009 I started shooting it and found with the above load to produce .55 inch groups center to center @ 100yds. It shot the same way earlier this season too, but i took it out just before the ML ( just to check to see if it is still zeroed after the firearm season ) season here in Michigan to the range when it was about in the mid twenties ( temp ) and it seemed my very consistant half inch groups fell open to approx. two inch groups............Is it the temperature change?...........could it have been the gusting wind? This is still at a 100 yds. Wind was about 15 to 25 mph. The range where i was at has to 10ft walls of dirt on both sides of the range so there is not the effect of a full wind....but some wind. Like I said it shot the same earlier this fall but all of a sudden started shooting a little wacky. I just dont understand if my load didnt change and neither did anything else...........What could be the case? Also I thought maybe loading pressure consistancy could be an issue too. Thanks to anyone who can help.----------Meatyrem
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Good load gone bad?

Had the same problem last year on my ML. Found my scope bases a little loose! A little degreasing and a little Loctite fixed mine. Also pitched out the previous years triple 7, I buy new every year now. Figured it was cheaper than scotch if I had a misfire while aiming at a 180 class Whitetail.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the reply shorty. Yep, I checked the rings and bases and they were solid. Used locktite also when it was mounted. Im gonna call TC arms tech and ask if they changed their sabots, cuz the new ones are a couple shades lighter (dark blue to light blue) and also I just noticed they load much easier too, and Im thinking they may be an issue. My powder was kept dry and sealed at all times until I measure up loads.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

The wind could be an issue if gusting 15 to 25, did the group string out sideways?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Flyin lizard- I did think that was a big issue. But I also thought it shouldn't affect impact as much as it did, I may be wrong, but I think two inches would be stretching it. The range where I go to has eight to ten ft tall dirt burms ( walls ) on both sides the whole length of the range although it blocked most of the wind it didn't block it all and it also made it like swirl around too. I could tell cuz the snow was going every direction. To answer your question, yes they hit to the sides left and right and also up and down too. But I'm still on the conclusion about the sabots loading without much effort compared to the old ones like I had. It seems as if they are the same as the superglides are. The original sabots I used were very snug.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM

If the sabot is loading differently, then I would certainly be suspicious. Go back out on a calm day and shoot her one more time. I have found that sabot differences affect groups more than powder charge changes.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Not cleaning the breech plugs flash channel will certainly affect the group size.

Your TC will use an 1/8" drill bit. W209 primer carbon is very hard crust, almost feels like broken glass when you are cutting it out so if it feels like the bit is to large, its not. Just the carbon.