Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Finished my 58cal Sidelock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Finished my 58cal Sidelock

Been putting together my CVA Hawken together since September.

32" 1:66 twist barrel from Deer Creek, .58cal

Love this gun!

Ive updated the front sight since this pic was taken, it now uses a steel front blade sight. The rear sight is off a Marlin 336 30-30 and the elevation adjustments actually work!

The rifle is just pure joy when shooting a .570" ball wrapped in a .018" patch makes for a tight fit, but she does good with that and 100gr Pyrodex RS.

Lone shot is on a clean bore, Seems like it might prefer a fouled bore. Shots 2 and 3 made my heart melt! @ 50 yards.

Not completely ready yet, But I made a new buffler possibles bag and a new capper/palm saver. Its pretty big for hunting, so its a field shooting/rendezvous bag. I will make a much smaller bag later on for hunting. Beads and some turkey feathers will be added on later.

I also ordered a .562" ball mold by Lee, 300 .020" patches and a box of .570" balls for hunting. I want the smaller ball for fun shooting/rendezvous. Nothing annoys me worse than having to swab at a shoot.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Finished my 58cal Sidelock

That is a cool gun! Keep her grouping.

That bag looks something like what Rachael Welch used to use.
Mcmillan Varmiter
Bushnel XRS scope
Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

Gorgeous gun, and better yet it shoots. I love the old 58's. I wish I had one, but it is down my list of guns to get a little ways. Anyway, she's beautiful! Congrats!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Great looking rifle. Actually I kinda miss those days and sometimes think about building another.

Funny how a guy's priorities change with the seasons. Can't break myself away from walleye fishing on the hard water to shoot. Really like shooting long range at this time of the year but, I've been catching walleye like a mad man and if they're hitting that good, I'm going fishing!

Very nice looking rifle. Once you get it dialed in, post a couple pics.