close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Elk bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Elk bullet

Question for the OP---Have you ever hunted or shot an elk with anything before? If you haven't, a big bull takes one heck of a poke and conventional wisdom says to hit him with close to 1500ft/lbs of energy at POI for good penetration with the correct bullet to obtain a humane kill.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

Take a look at Parker bullets. I use the 250 Jacketed Ballistic Extremes in my Encore. They shoot .75" at 100 yards and shoot well in some of my buddies omega rifles. Longest shoot to date was 172 yards on a whitetail buck. I plan on trying some Parker's 275s.

Product Listing - Match_Hunter
Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

i'm going to renew this thread since its been a few years... and i'm heading to New Mexico on a muzzleloader elk hunt this fall. i have never hunted elk before (impossible tag to draw in Arkansas) but have been advised to be able to shoot 300 yards. Seems like a stretch with a smoke pole but going to give it my best shot with lots of practice, etc. I've been hunting deer with a muzzleloader for almost 30 years but never elk. I just ordered a remington UM which should be here in a few days.. along with a louepold ultimate slam 3x9. after reading a lot of reviews...especially Randy Wakeman's writeups are great... i am convinced that BH209 will be used... but i'm not sure what would be the best bullet for long range elk with a muzzleloader. most of the discussions have been around long range target or whitetail loads. would love to get you guys opinion.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckums View Post
i'm going to renew this thread since its been a few years... and i'm heading to New Mexico on a muzzleloader elk hunt this fall. i have never hunted elk before (impossible tag to draw in Arkansas) but have been advised to be able to shoot 300 yards. Seems like a stretch with a smoke pole but going to give it my best shot with lots of practice, etc. I've been hunting deer with a muzzleloader for almost 30 years but never elk. I just ordered a remington UM which should be here in a few days.. along with a louepold ultimate slam 3x9. after reading a lot of reviews...especially Randy Wakeman's writeups are great... i am convinced that BH209 will be used... but i'm not sure what would be the best bullet for long range elk with a muzzleloader. most of the discussions have been around long range target or whitetail loads. would love to get you guys opinion.
If it were me..... my choice would be a 290gr Barnes T-EZ. You need the bullet weight/energy/dependability at 300yds. I'd stick with the 290 to 300gr bullets myself.

IMO...... take many of the write-ups lightly. RW has never shot a RU beyond 100yds to my knowledge and, he's been called him out on that. However I do have a contact with a RU that is shooting MOA at 300yds using Barnes bullets. He's also shooting BH but, you have to be careful about the number of times you re-prime the brass. He's cutting down his own .308 brass, reaming the interior.

Please post your shooting results and long range targets.......
Old 06-24-2015, 03:09 PM

do you know specifically what Barns bullets your contact is using in the UM? And yes.. i will be posting up pics as i go. the Parkers are apparently very good but the Match/Hunter would get very expensive very quick. i would like to find a bullet i can shoot and shoot a lot without having to take out a second mortgage on my house. thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckums View Post
do you know specifically what Barns bullets your contact is using in the UM? And yes.. i will be posting up pics as i go. the Parkers are apparently very good but the Match/Hunter would get very expensive very quick. i would like to find a bullet i can shoot and shoot a lot without having to take out a second mortgage on my house. thanks for the feedback.
A quote from one of our PM's...........

"Parker 327 Match Hunters, 2270 fps with 100 grains Blackhorn 209 by weight."

Before I shot Match Hunters, I'd talk to Bob Parker. The MH are designed for much more speed that you or I can attain. They're ok on paper or steel at the speeds the RU may have but, not on game. If you didn't want to hunt with Barnes, then try the Parker Ballistic Extreme 300gr.

I've talked at length with Bob about shooting his bullets out of my Ultimate BP Xpress, shooting 180grs. Bob was very clear..... don't shoot the MH while hunting, as I would never get the speed for the bullet to expand properly. His recommendation was the BE 300gr.

Save your money for other necessities. You'll need plenty of primer carriers, which from what I understand are not cheap.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 PM

That is all very helpful. I am going to order the barns and hit the bench. Will report....