Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Elk bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

Elk bullet

What is be best bullet for long range muzzleloading? Say out to 300 yards. I am going on elk hunt this fall if I draw the tag? Looking for high BC, and retained energy/velocity? Precision muzz. Bullets have high bc but looks to be lead bullet. TMZ, harvester scorpion?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Elk bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5678 View Post
What is be best bullet for long range muzzleloading? Say out to 300 yards. I am going on elk hunt this fall if I draw the tag? Looking for high BC, and retained energy/velocity? Precision muzz. Bullets have high bc but looks to be lead bullet. TMZ, harvester scorpion?

Thanks
If you can hunt with a saboted bullet, I'd probably go for the 290gr TMZ but, I'd be hesitant on a 300yd shot myself. I'm good to 250yds for deer with the 250gr TMZ, but that's my limit. I've shot a number of deer to 200yds and just over with the 250gr TMZ and always had a complete pass through. But.... I've always made sure that it was the perfect situation too. Broadside and unaware.

The 290gr would be my choice for elk, with the higher BC and energy. Lots of long range practice. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM

The 290 Barnes is a fine choice, however, 300 yards with a muzzy is a long, long shot.

The drop will be significant and you're losing energy fast at that range. You not only need to hit your target but you'll need to pack a punch.

I would set my expectations much lower. You can run the ballistics calculations for you bullet and load of choice and practice, practice, practice.

Or, sneak up to the next ridge and shoot'em at 100 yards without worry.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Depending on the rifle and load, if you can bump up the velocity to around 2,100fps, I believe the 290gr TMZ will give you about 1,145 fpe at 300yds and a velocity of around 1,300 fps. I ran it through a ballistics program, with a 150yd zero, the drop at 200 is about 5" but, at 300yds it indicates 26".

I've never had the privilege of hunting elk and have no idea what the recommended FPE should be, to gain significant penetration or a pass through. Some of the elk hunters should know or chime in. I believe Barnes indicates that the TMZ bullet will expand reliably down to 1,100 fps.

Research and practice.....
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

A lot depends on which state you are talking about, Colorado-NO sabots, Idaho-lead bullets only, etc.

Dave

Muzzleloader Regulations
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for info. It's new Mexico. I will focus on 250 and under. Appreciate the input.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5678 View Post
Thanks for info. It's new Mexico. I will focus on 250 and under. Appreciate the input.
I hope you get the tag. Once you do, hit the range and be ready for a hunt of lifetime.

Good Luck.