Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Do you hunt with a clean bore?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do you hunt with a clean bore?

deermaster

" I have heard that you should hunt with a dirty bore, to get a better seal."

BS GALORE!! Clean it! If you're using the right sabot/bullet....when the 'fuel' hits the sabot in the arse.....you won't have to worry about getting an adequate seal!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Bronze Member

All those goodies we stuff in there corrode. While at the range I can almost shoot all day using pyrodex, but always load a clean bore for hunting and always clean after unloading. Even the bore lead can start fuzzing up with time, but moisture and consequently rust almost instantly appears if propellant fouling is not removed.

Now, in states like mine where covered ignition and glass sights are not allowed, the differences in point of impact due to some fouling at the typical 150 yards or less is not substantial. Meaning if I miss with the first one I will likely miss in the same spot with my reload! If I could clean up shivering and buck fever from my hold it would be far more significant.

Heck, just keep it clean at the end of the day!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Bronze Member

I've shot my rifle enough to know that the first shot out of a clean, lightly oiled bore shoots the same as the next shot out of a fouled bore. For a couple of years I stopped on the way to my hunt and fouled my bore, and then hunted for 5 days with a dirty rifle. Now I know it isn't necessary. I can even shoot a second shot without cleaning and it will print to the same point on the target. If I clean between each shot, my groups stay tight all day at the range.

With any rifle, I make darn sure I know exactly where that first shot from a cold barrel will go. I make it a point to go to the range at the crack of dawn on a cold day, because that's most likely when you're going to be shooting at game.

If you do everything else right, you only need the one shot. Most of my hunts the deer either runs away or drops in its tracks. Unwounded fame never stands still while I reload. My hunting buddy has a hypnotic effect on game and they wait while he reloads. The only time I needed followup shots on deer after a hit was at 250 and 300 yards (both were harvested). That's a little too far for my muzzle loader. The hit has to be perfect, and at 300, mine is close, but not perfect. I'm working on those groups.

Elk sometimes need more than one to kill them quickly, but if the first shot is good, they don't go far.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermaster View Post
777 and Pyro scares me how fast it will rust up a bore. I have heard that you should hunt with a dirty bore, to get a better seal. My ML season lasts 2 weeks, and I always buck hunt only, as it is in the middle of the rut, so I may not fire my ML for the entire 2 weeks. If I hunted with a dirty bore, that would mean letting 777 fouling sit there for possibly up to two weeks, and I just dont want to do that with a 500$ gun.
So I practice with a clean bore, I clean between every shot while practicing, to simulate a hunting shot. Am I strange for doing this? Am I missing something by doing that? Do most people hunting with a dirty bore and just buy a new gun or barrel every few years when it rusts out?
Thanks for any info, this site is amazing, I am finding answers to questions I have had for a long time.
I agree with ICANTHITHIM. Zero it in clean, hunt with it clean. I do a lot of mzldr hunting each year. 150 grs of 777. Clean it up and it will be ready for you. My OPINION, take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

FWIW....anyone that's too lazy to clean their rifle wouldn't mind walking around all day with a turd in their britches!!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM

tests were made on the range with muzzeloaders and if you want accuracy the ML.shoots better with a CLEAN BORE ..

the centerfire is more accurate with a FOULED BORE ...
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Im shooting a TC Triumph and I clean after every shot. If I didnt I would have a heck of a time trying to get the next sabot in deep enough. I'm shooting 777 with the Barnes TMZ 250 grain. I agree definatly shoot and zero off a clean bore. Just my 2 cents

CB