Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Darn wind!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Darn wind!

Well on the bright side, the new Caldwell FCX rest showed up today. On the sad side, its supposed to be gale force winds for the next couple days. That just ain't right!!!I'm setting here with a 1/2 dozen bottles of BH209, a thousand primers and an arm load of Barnes 250gr TMZ's....... with a brand new rest and it looks like it will be another three days before I can use it. I've already posponed quite a little shooting waiting for the rest to get here. Now its here and the wind is going to blow like heck. I just can't seem to win........ well I do live in Michigan, what do I expect?I must be getting older, as normally by now I've shot a thousand or so rounds. It was so hot this summer that one could't shoot and I'm going through withdrawls. However, I can assure you that the woods surrounding my range will become full of smoke when this wind calms down. I can hear my Pro Hunter calling my name from inside the safe.......
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Darn wind!

LOL around my neck of the woods about 14 hours south of you when the wind blows hard like that for a few days it is followed by a spell of no to very little wind ;-)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

I can honestly tell you I have never learned one thing about correcting for wind, wind currents or their affects by shooting on a calm day. Look at it as an opertunity and go for it.

ps: I am not sure while shooting long range there is such a thing as a perfectly calm day. I think ther is wind effects in every shot. Some are obviously worse than others.

Good luck

Jeff
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I understand the hot weather. I did almost all of my shooting very early in the day to avoid it. It also had the most calm wind of the day.

Wind, now that's another thing. Once I have a load developed, I shoot in whatever the wind gods bring. Granted, most of my shooting is for hunting situations. Varied wind, angles, and positions.

I do feel your pain though. It is NOT fun to not have the conditions that allow the type of shooting you want to do.

I hope you get out soon and make a BIG smoke cloud.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Just checked and we have 32mph sustained winds. I wouldn't have a problem with close range shooting but, my range presents some unique situations, as far as the wind goes, which tells me to load up some more film containers with a few more charges.....