Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

CVA Breechplug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM

Re: CVA Breechplug

You need the Western Rivers breach plug. It is designed specifically for the BH 209 powder and your gun. Call Carlos at Eds Gun Shop, he is extremely helpful and knowledgable about muzzleloaders and will get you exactly what you need. He knows all about your situation and sells these breachplugs. He sells BH209 for $29 delivered! Best price anywhere.
Here's a link with his info and some more info.

Ed's Gun Shop & Blackhorn209 Store
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amre2me2 View Post
You need the Western Rivers breach plug. It is designed specifically for the BH 209 powder and your gun. Call Carlos at Eds Gun Shop, he is extremely helpful and knowledgable about muzzleloaders and will get you exactly what you need. He knows all about your situation and sells these breachplugs. He sells BH209 for $29 delivered! Best price anywhere.
Here's a link with his info and some more info.

Ed's Gun Shop & Blackhorn209 Store
Western Powder doesnt show a plug for my gun on there website, they only show the new quick release style plug. Mine takes the old hex style that requires a wrench to remove.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Give Carlos a call,see what he says.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

I will say at 100 grains volume, I get very little smoke. I was quite taken back by the amount of smoke the Go-Ex produced. Took a minute before I could see thew target as there was no breeze at all that day (at my friend's range).

It appears that the Thor's shoot well at 100/volume as well. We shall find that out bext year. He was sold out of 300's and I didn't want 260's. I fiugured the 300's would be pretty consistent with the Barnes 290's I'm using now.

Friday after this, I'll be looking for at least an 8 point on the private, never hunted land I have access to. Gotta sprinkle some angel dust prior to, like tomorrow afternoon.

I used his sizing kit and the 500 fits well but the 501 is a tough ram down. The 500 just engraves the rifling on the skirt, that should do it.

I am a bit concerned with copper fouling but I'll cross that bridge with Sweets when it becomes an issue.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Here is who you need to talk to.Modified CVA Hex Head Breech Plug - HuntingNet.com Forums
Old 11-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

call EDS gun shop as posted above ask for the gun room and Carlos. He is very helpful. My last cva was from him.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

This sounds like he exact part I need also. I'll have to look into it.