Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

CVA Accura V2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CVA Accura V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
no need to modify the breech plug for white hot pellets.
I knew you'd catch that and btw, I really enjoy your video's and your knowledge is a vast storehouse..... now that I've inflated your ego.....

I realize the white hots lay on top of the plug in the short recess but I bought a box for fooling with. Thats it. We'll be igniting Blackhorn exclusively in the field and I'll have some extra plugs laying around to modify.

What I'm curious about is what effect opening the flash hole will have on ignition and powder burn. It seems to me that the primer ignition end face is appreciably larger than the flash hole so why not open it up incrementally. One, it would relieve the back pressure (that actually causes the blowback of gasses and the subsequent blackening of the firing pin face and frame) and two, would allow a better flame travel to the powder charge. The only thing I could see as a limiting factor would be average grain size of 209. That would not be a factor with white hots as they are solidified.

I can machine the plugs any way I want to, in fact, I can modify the firearm, I own a machine shop so it's not a big thing with me. Between opening the flashole and shimming the pin retainer to the primer face (you refer to as headspace) I'm thinking that relieving the pressure should allow less of an interference fit between the pin retainer and the primer face and still negate the blowback.

I want to know the determining factor in the flashole dimension or is it an 'all around' determination?

I think this is actually going to be some relatively inexpensive fun compared to my big centerfire rifles......

..............Just picking your brain a bit.....

While on the subject, what about the Thor Bullets and the Precision Engineering non saboted bullets? Opinion, conjecture? My go to will still be the Barnes saboted polymer tipped projectiles for around here. The non-saboted projectiles will be for out west.

We are looking for extended knock down range in the vicinity of 250-300 yards, possibly better, limited by optics of course. I'm not going to put a NF or a Viper or a Leupy Mark 4 on a smoke pole, at least not just yet. The rifles are tubed well enough, Bagara is a premier barrel maker. The limiting factor I see is the projectiles and rate of ignition as it equates to muzzle velocity and bullet weight. The higher the exit velocity the more tolerant projectile weight becomes. The faster it flies, the less gravity impacts the projectile and less bullet drop. I interchanged bullet and projectile but they are both the same in this discussion...... I also realize the twist plays an important factor in stability and too much velocity imparts too fast a spin and can cause the bullet to fly apart......

See, I get technical pretty quick and I haven't even cycled the firearm yet.....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Put in the Blackhorn Breechplug last night after cleaning the tube after disassembling the entire rifle and cleaning all the grease and whatnot out of the action. My plug came with the insertion tool so I applied a bit of grease to the threads (I'm not fond of never-sieze, it seems to wind up all over me for some reason), installed the plug and cranked it down tight with the tool, then loosened it back up and finger tightened it. I'm waiting for the Thor FMJ's to arrive with the insertion tool and then we shall see what it will do or not do.

I still have to shim the retainer before I fire it. That will entail precision grinding a number of sized washers to fit. No biggie.

At least with the current run on tuns and ammo, the BP stuff remains untouched for the most part. Fingers crossed on that. Was talikng to another customer in the store and he remarked that this new breed of gun buyer don't have any idea about muzzle loading. Fine with me.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

put only about .002" of crush fit on the primer, it makes the action easier to close without having to snap it shut firmly.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
put only about .002" of crush fit on the primer, it makes the action easier to close without having to snap it shut firmly.
Thank you young man, I'll set it at 2 thousands....and you are right about primer height differences. I bought some Federal 209's originally and CCI 209's the other day and the Federals are about 4.5 thousands shorter than the CCI's. Thats a lot. Don't mean anything in a shotshell but means a lot in a muzzleloader as fare as blowback.

I begs to ask, have you ever enlarged the flash hole and if you did, what were the results? I have extra breechplugs now so enlarging the through hole looks to be an interesting modifiaction, if, it don't adversely impact anything...

Opinion please.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

back before i figured out how to seal up the primer blow by, we thought it was the breech plugs flash hole/channel that was causing it. We'd drill out the flash hole to .035" and that helped a LOT. Once i figured out that sealed up the blow by "heat" that improved things even more. We no longer lost a lot of heat/gasses due to loose primer fit, when we adjust the head space properly. Lets face it, if a car has a burnt valve, we're losing pressure, consistency in detonation. Same thing is true with a breech plug and primer fit. Seal it up and its going to operate a lot more efficiently. Clean up in the frame is no longer needed as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I begs to ask, have you ever enlarged the flash hole and if you did, what were the results? I have extra breechplugs now so enlarging the through hole looks to be an interesting modifiaction, if, it don't adversely impact anything...

Opinion please.
Most of the drilling of flash holes has always been related to the CVA breech plugs, to make them capable of shooting BH209. Although some have drilled them out larger, .031" was the recommendation. CVA and Western fixed the issue with replacement breech plugs.

One also has to recognize that the flash holes will enlarge and wear themselves if the rifle is shot a lot. I have to replace breech plugs quite often. Also realize that opening up the flash hole to large, can cause to much pressure to be sent back through the plug. Back in the day before inlines, there were a few guys that thought drilling out a nipple would increase ignition. Countless numbers of those shooters found themselves in the emergency room getting sewed up, after the hammer was blown back into their hand.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

I apreciate the input. I figured if small was good, larger would be better. Your experience is invaluable for me. I'll go with the 2 thousands crush and leave it at that. Too bad I can't find the shim washers anywhere. BPI is continually showing not is stock.

I certainly don't want to get wacked by the hammer.....lol I remarked to my wife that unlike my centerfire bolt rifles, the CVA has no side ports to allow pressure to escape if an overpressure condition exists. Either out the business end or out the ignition end......

I'll just get suitable diameter washers and do some surface grinding.

The Thor bullets should be in this weekend btw.