Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

CVA Accura V2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

CVA Accura V2

Been aqgonizing and contemplating buying the CVA switch barrel but they are hard to find and I'd have to scope each barrel so I went today and got an AccuraV2 27" barrel in realtree at Cabelas.

I had the points and then some so it was a wash.

I need a scope yet. No point in putting on a Viper/Leupold like my centerfires, besides, I want/would like a camo scope to match the stock. I'm thinking along the lines of a Nikon in 3-9 x 50 but I'm open to suggestions. High turrets or low and MOA or MIL.

Not sure if I need side parallelax and all that in as much as it's a 250 yard maximum rifle.

I also need some input on powder and a good sabot. Already have boxes of 209 primers for reloading shotgun shells.

I know these things are dirty shooters but what is the cleaning frequency and will wipeout or Hoppes 9 work?

I'm a newbie as you can tell. First one (smokepole).

Won't be doing anything with it until next season anyway. Might as well get it set up, sighted in and ready to find a bambi.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: CVA Accura V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Been aqgonizing and contemplating buying the CVA switch barrel but they are hard to find and I'd have to scope each barrel so I went today and got an AccuraV2 27" barrel in realtree at Cabelas.

I had the points and then some so it was a wash.

I need a scope yet. No point in putting on a Viper/Leupold like my centerfires, besides, I want/would like a camo scope to match the stock. I'm thinking along the lines of a Nikon in 3-9 x 50 but I'm open to suggestions. High turrets or low and MOA or MIL.

Not sure if I need side parallelax and all that in as much as it's a 250 yard maximum rifle.

I also need some input on powder and a good sabot. Already have boxes of 209 primers for reloading shotgun shells.

I know these things are dirty shooters but what is the cleaning frequency and will wipeout or Hoppes 9 work?

I'm a newbie as you can tell. First one (smokepole).

Won't be doing anything with it until next season anyway. Might as well get it set up, sighted in and ready to find a bambi.
Scopes:
Bushnell DOA 250
Nikon Prostaff

My favorite that ive used for 3 years now is a Konuspro 3-10x44. 15,000+ rounds through that scope and no troubles at all. Super thin cross hairs which i prefer.

Cleaning that gun IMO is extremely important. Most guys just wipe down the outside and clean the bore and hims ready to go huntin!

Scroll down and look for the Camo Accura V2 - Cleaning your new muzzle loader Part 1 and Part 2. I do a deep cleaning to make sure all the shavings are out and most importantly, that stock bolt IS tight.
Ganders Muzzle Loading Blog: Muzzle Loading How To Videos

Cleaning, if its holy black, T7, pyrodex or american pioneer, hot soapy water is the best cleaner to use. If you are worried about plastic, lead, copper build up, you can use a product for that AFTER you clean the bore out with the hot soapy water.

I HIGHLY recommend Blackhorn209, it IS the best sub on the market today. No need to clean between shots, it does not need it.

Also order either the Blackhorn209 breech plug from CVA Or Western Powders. Both companies offer their own version, the WP plug is a bit more expensive but it does come up a breech plug cleaning tool.

Heres a tune up tip that a lot of folk have enjoyed my work on. It is a great way to seal up primer blow by and keep the nickle finish on the frame rather than being blasted off by primer blow by and stained an ugly black/gray color.
Ganders Muzzle Loading Blog: CVA Headspace Adjustment Shims

Safety warning just to allow you to understand the importance of knowing what can happen if adjusted to much.
Ganders Muzzle Loading Blog: CVA Muzzleloader Head Space Adjustment Caution

That should help get you started
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

I'd take the Nikon over the Bushnell. IMO much better glass. I have the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 on two rifles and am very pleased I went with Nikon. Personally I don't recommend multi-reticle scopes on muzzleloaders. Although they are a good marketing tool for the manufacturers to sell more scopes. Muzzleloaders can be extremely finniky, even of the same model. Learning where a bullet hits at a given range with a muzzleloader, is much more important than which "dot" to use, let alone determining range, adjusting the scope to the proper setting and all the while hoping the deer remains in place at that range.

I see you're also from Michigan and you know how long a deer may stand still while you're trying to make adjustments to your scope so that the "dots" are correct. Many other Michigan muzzleloader shooters have found that its much easier and they can be more accurate, shoot easier and faster with just a single crosshair.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

I am. I'm at one end of the state, you are at the other. My advantage (or disadvantage is I'm 2 miles from Cabelas....lol

I'm an out west hunter for the most part. I have property just south of Big Rapids that I hunt on with a centerfire (308 Savage) but the smoke pole intrigues me. I'm a firn believer in one shot and make it a good shot, even with a centerfire. I very seldom have the magazines loaded, usually one in the chamber and a couple in my pocket.

My hunt partner (also out west) has the CVA V2 and I've shot his before and I like the feel of the rifle. It's a bit nose heavy compared the my 308 but it feels comfortable for offhand shooting. I'm so used to a centerfire but not too old to adapt to something else, especially when that else is a legal firearm to hunt deer down here. In SE Michigan you can hunt with a bow, handgun, shotgun or muzzleloader, no centerfire rifle. I use a handgun (44magnum S&W with a scope) but the effective range is a bit short. The CVA gives me more range and the longer tube makes shot placement more accurate.

I see I don't have to go broke getting an optic this time. I'm used to spending better than a grand fror a scope, thats refreshing. The last VX4 I bought was almost 1500.

My hunt partner has a Nikon camo on his and it appeared (to me) that the glass and resolution was well within the capabilities of the rifle. This isn't a 500 yard gun like my 308 or a 1500 + yard gun like my 338 and it appears to be fairly economical to shoot. 308's arent bad when reloading but 338's even reloading can cost a bundle.

I'm understanding that unlike my medium to long, long range rifles, I won't be clicking in elevation or windage but zeroing the scope and using the holdovers for distance? Is that a correct assumption? 250 yards is a cake shot for my centerfires, I typically zero my scopes at 300 yards.

That brings me to the next question and that is, whichever scope I mount, I assume that I need to zero at 100 yards and I also presume the parallelax is pre set at 100 as well.

All my scopes presently are side parallelax adjustable. One less knob might not be all bad....

Finally, because I have a natural tendency to cant my rifles to the right, do I need a scope level. I have them on all my centerfire rifles and the CVA came with a scope mount attached. Do I need to lap it prior to mounting the scope (SOP on my centerfires).

Lots of questions I realize. This is a new ballgame for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I am. I'm at one end of the state, you are at the other. My advantage (or disadvantage is I'm 2 miles from Cabelas....lol

That brings me to the next question and that is, whichever scope I mount, I assume that I need to zero at 100 yards and I also presume the parallelax is pre set at 100 as well.

All my scopes presently are side parallelax adjustable. One less knob might not be all bad....

Finally, because I have a natural tendency to cant my rifles to the right, do I need a scope level. I have them on all my centerfire rifles and the CVA came with a scope mount attached. Do I need to lap it prior to mounting the scope (SOP on my centerfires).

Lots of questions I realize. This is a new ballgame for me.
My trips to Cabela's are very rare, unless it when I'm visiting family down below. However I spend a crazy amount of money for muzzleloader bullets on line from them, which my wife reminds me of quite often.

With the one piece mounts, I've never had to lap. The traditional 100yd zero works well for most MI hunters but, I zero mine for 150yds. My early firearm season shots, through Thanksgiving, will be 100yds or less. No problem there with a 150 zero. But after Thanksgiving I'm able to start hunting property where shots will most generally be 150 or further, thus the reason for the 150yd zero. I shoot enough target at 200yds to be very confident at that range with 2 to 2.5" groups.

From a zero at 150yds, I have 5" of drop at 200. Piece of cake as far as how to hold for a shot at that range. Absolutely unnecessary to have a multi-reticle scope. I only shoot Barnes bullets, which perform perfectly and are 100% reliable. I load 75grs BY WEIGHT of BH209 and a Barnes 250gr TMZ, ignited by a CCI209M primer. My Pro Hunter will shoot a maximum load of 84grs WEIGHT of BH209 accurately but, I don't care for the increased recoil and with the 75grs by weight I still get pass throughs at 200yds. Many shooters report approximately a 3" difference in POI with a 10gr increase (weight) of BH209.

When I mount my scopes I use a level for mounting and that's it. I guess I just shoot it so much that any canting, if any, is never noticeable. My crosshairs and what they're settled on takes up my entire concentration. Everything else is just an extension of my body. I took two deer during our muzzleloader season, one at 168yds and the other at 193 and both dropped within 4 jumps.

Good luck, have fun and be safe. This stuff is fun. Shoot it often and develop that sweet load that shoots great from it.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Here's where I am/we are, in as much as there are 2 V2's involved, mine which is new and Tom's (one of my hunting partners) who has had his for a while.

The Internet and this forum are great stores of valuable information. Been reading about the blowby from the primer nor seating close enough to the firing pin retainer plus and allowing gas to escape. I also read that CVA/BPI had a shim fix. Of course no one has the shims available, not even CVA/BPI so I'm going to grind custom shims on the surface grinder to shim out both rifles for a slight interference fit. Tom has already experienced a siezed firing pin from blowby. Hopefully that can be fixed.

I've also read the CVA has had some issues with incomplete burn/misfires using Blackhorn and offers a recessed breech plug, I bought 2 from BPI direct, one for each rifle. I'm planning on taking the stock plug and using it with white hots or possibly modifying it by enlarging the flash hole in 0.005" increments to see what effect the bigger diameter has on burn rates, accuracy and velocity and I may machine a pluf with a recess myself like the retrofit BPI plug has.

We are looking at either Thor or Precision Engineering non saboted bullets as well as the Barnes TMZ's for increasing effective range. They will never be long range rifles but I have to say they are a cheap date compared to my centerfires and I can shoot them down here during deer season. I can't shoot a centerfire unless it's a pistol.

I got a Nikon 3-9 BDC reticle in Realtree, the exact scope that Tom has. I wanted to make the guns as similar as possible so we can exchange or have either available for a hunt because we don't always hunt together.

I had a bit of an issue with the factory suppled and mounted) scope mount. I checked the mount to bore alignment, clamping in a 3 foot length of centerless ground and normalized drill rod and the mount was within 0.010 parallel to the centerline of the bore but the ring upper half wasn't concentric with the lower half of the mount so I had to lap the ring halves with lapping compound and bar. I also sequentially pulled each mounting screw, applied a dab of threadlocker and retorqued them to 25 inch pounds. I clamped the rings at 25 as well after levelling the scope. I have to bench/bore sight it yet and go start playing with it and the chronograph.

Gonna be fun.....
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

no need to modify the breech plug for whitehot pellets.