Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Clean bore vs dirty...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Clean bore vs dirty...

easiest way to fix that is to try different cleaners. The 2 in 1 bore scrubber doesnt do a thing to my rifles. Remington 40x bore cleaner, bore butter, that crap really throws my first shots off.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

I must agree with Encore in post #7. My T/C doesn't care if there is bore butter in it or if all I do is run T/C#13 bore cleaner and dry patches. Even if I store with bore butter I always run dry patches down the barrel before shooting. The first shot is always high and right and then center of the bull until I clean the barrel.

Some of my first shots have been at 200 yards. I would hate to do this with a "clean" barrel since I know how my T/C behaves. I have a fouled barrel since I know it will put every shot in the bulls eye with a "dirty" barrel, I just have to adjust for trajectory.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

thanks all for thd help. I knew that dirty bore will group better just like regular rifles...I was mainly concernex with fouling the muzzleloader righg before our muzzleloader and then it being ruined by the corrosive powder.since our muzzleloader season is only a week long during cold part of the year I will simpld do a fouling shot in the begining and then wrap the muzzle with a baloon to help preveng moisture buildup and also leave the rifle outside in the cold
Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

I use Optima V2 and can,t tell that much difference between the two. The edge for me is clean Bore. Have shot 15 rounds of Pyrodex RS with Side Kick without cleaning the bore , even with crude ring grouped 2 1/2" @ 100 yds. But cleaning Bore after each shot I can get a 1" group @100yds.