Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Blackhorn 209 question

Right from Western's web page:

"We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps, musket caps, high-powered rifle or pistol primers."

The designated muzzleloader primers are weaker for a reason and that's because of pellets that are used. However regular 209 primers will ignite BH209, such as the common WIN209. But...... they're not recommended and in very cold weather, may not provide sufficient ignition continuously. Does that mean its harder to ignite, well compared to 2f or the other propellants, yes.

The only people that use BH and ever go back to another propellant, are people that think its to expensive. However its a much better propellant and you still get 50 rounds fired from a container (depending on charge), equal to a box of pellets. Inconsistency in pellets has long been known, with velocities substantially different. With BH and if measured by WEIGHT vs Volume (using the correct and safe procedures), you can close up the velocities and make it extremely consistent. CONSISTENCY is the key in muzzleloading and accuracy, especially long range accuracy and tight groups.

Before this year's eye problems, my Pro Hunter was shooting groups under 2" at 200yds....... consistently. I could never do that with ANY kind of pellets. I do weigh all my charges and shoot 75grs by WEIGHT, which amounts to 107.1grs V. I don't have to swab the barrel between shots, ever, and it cleans up with just Hoppe's, NOT water. Michigan has over 660,000 deer hunter, with many of them leaving the shotgun and centerfires in the safe and only using the muzz. Those that have the proper breech plugs, are switching to BH209 faster than the stores can stock it. When you find it, shooters are buying what they can afford. Many are purchasing the 5# containers. There's a reason for that........
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Long as we are on the subject, who sells/offers the funnel spout for a BH209 jug? I see them in the pictures of BH209 but I've never seen them for sale with BH209 at any retailer.

Would make pouring (into charge tubes) lots easier....
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Long as we are on the subject, who sells/offers the funnel spout for a BH209 jug? I see them in the pictures of BH209 but I've never seen them for sale with BH209 at any retailer.

Would make pouring (into charge tubes) lots easier....
Cabela's and Jays probably carry them. I bought mine at a little mom & pop shop.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Okay. Blackhorn 209 KICKS *****!!!!!!

I went out today after work, and hastily put up my flimsy paper target. I wanted more time to work up a load, but listened to what Flip said and went directly to 100 grains of BH by volume.

The wind had the target blowing a bit, so I didn't really pay too much attention to grouping, just placement. First shot was 2 inches right, and 1 inch high, so I dialed in the adjustment. Second and third shots were on opposite side of the bull, so I called it good.

Next, I got the gong out and backed up to 200 yards. I sent one shot, but couldn't see where it hit. After walking up to the target I saw that it hit on the bottom half of the bull. I got excited.

Next, I backed up to 250 yards and shot 4 more shots. The grouping was damned impressive. 4.25" wide x 2.25 inches high at 200 and 250 yards!!! I got about twice that size of groups with 777.

I never did swab the bore, and never did get a gunk ring.

When I got home it took 3 patches of Hoppes to clean the bore, 1 dry patch, 1 oil patch, and another dry patch. Easiest cleaning ever. The breach plug took a little more work. It was fouled more than normal. Got it clean with liberal hoppes and a drill bit twisted by hand, as the website suggest.

Load was a 235 Precision Rifle QT, 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 (by volume), and a Winchester 209. I am an excited man! Can't wait for December!!!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Blackhorn 209 question-img_20131108_153841_365.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

There ya go jkupper............

I've been shooting it since it became available in my area.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

I used BH 209 for the first time this year on my elk hunt.I loaded 120 grains by volume behind a a Parker Match Hunter 275 and shot it out of a Rem. 700 custom I put together on a short action.Primer was a cci mag rifle seated in a cut off rifle case.Three shot clusters measured under 1 inch at 100 and accuracy was great out to 400.
On my hunt after passing up several nice bulls I put a 2 hour stalk on a good one laying in his bed.I took the shot at 336 yards and he never got up.I've got pictures ;but don't know how to post them.
I was really pleased with the BH 209 and if I ever draw this ML hunt again it is what I'll Shoot.If anyone would like to post the photos for me I can send by phone or email. Thanks Charles
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
There ya go jkupper............

I've been shooting it since it became available in my area.
Thank you for your help ENCORE!!!