Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Re: Blackhorn 209 question

Original poster asked about load development and no one really answered that for him. So here is what I did. After purchasing my TC Omega last year and much research on the web, I decided on Barnes TEZ 250gr for bullet and Blackhorn 209 for powder. I went to the range intent on trying different levels of powder from 85 to 120 grains (all measures were by VOLUME measured with TC clearview measure) in 5gr increments. To start I ran a couple patches spritzed with hoppes #9 down barrel to clean any residue from it then started shooting. I shot 3 times with 85gr waiting approx 5 minutes between each shot. Afterward I pulled breach plug and cleaned flash channel. Then spritzed a couple shots of hoppes down barrel and pulled a 50 cal boresnake down barrel twice. I then went to next powder measure and repeated three shots followed by boresnake. If you have never actually worked up a load, I can say it was pretty neat seeing groups go from about 3 inches with 85 gr down to 1 1/4 inch with 105 gr. Group size started opening back up at 110 gr and was about 2 1/2 inches at 115 so I never bothered trying 120. What I found most amazing was that it shot 1 1/4 in group from a shiny clean barrel. So much for having to shoot a squib load like so many guys talk about.

Also per question if it really cleans that easy, yes it does. The residue it leaves, at least with mine is almost kind of oily. But when I pull breach plug and run boresnake through with a couple squirts of hoppes #9, all that is left is a shiny clean barrel. Good Luck with whatever you decide on and Happy Shooting.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

All the above...

I just went with the Barnes 290 TMZ recommended load (100 grains by volume) and my Accura V2 shoots lights out. How about 2 holes on 3 shots at 100 yards and both holes within 1/8" of the other one. Thats good enough for me and any Michigan bambi I might encounter.....

Zero load development. I spent my development time developing my ML skills...lol

Of course Encore knows I fiddled with it (CVA) a bit, I can't resist that. I used Federal 209 Magnum primers with the CVA209 BP and the retainer shimmed to an interference fit with the primer face.

I use a welding tip (oxy-acetylene) cleaner from Air Gas to clean my flash hole. Easier to hang on to than a tiny drill because the tip cleaners come in a fold to make a handle case and the tip cleaners have a knurled section thats rats ass for removing any carbon.

I get absolutely NO primer blowback, I haven't cleaned the breech face in months.

300 gn Thor's are next up.

I stated before on another thread that primers do impact POI and I'll say it again. Get one primer and stick with it. I tried CCI's (had one box) and my POI changed dramatically. Went back to the Feds and it settled right down.

Was at a friends and ran out of pre-measured 209 so I loaded some of his Go-Ex. Big mistake. That stuff is nasty dirty. I'm spoiled with BH209.

It's a great rifle and I really enjoy it. It will never be a centerfire and won't reach out like a 338 but it's ideal for whitetails.

Rifles are tools. You need more than one tool to fill a toolbox....
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
All the above...

Thats good enough for me and any Michigan bambi I might encounter.....

Was at a friends and ran out of pre-measured 209 so I loaded some of his Go-Ex. Big mistake. That stuff is nasty dirty. I'm spoiled with BH209.

Rifles are tools. You need more than one tool to fill a toolbox....

Point #1 = lol

Point #2= agreed for damned sure

Point #3 = also agreed, otherwise why the hell do we shoot more than one gun

Guys, thanks for all the info. I'm going to go have fun and the hell out of stuff Friday afternoon. I can't wait to report back!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Is the ignition on this stuff too poor to use with hammer guns?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
Is the ignition on this stuff too poor to use with hammer guns?
It WILL NOT work on hammer guns. I wouldn't say it has poor ignition.

Read the entire web pages: Blackhorn 209
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

That looks like good stuff, Encore, but if you need magnum primers and special breech plugs, then it tells me it is very difficult to ignite.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

No harder than any extruded smokless powder (to ignite) however, harder than black powder.

Specialized BP's are used to capture the powder and provide a more dense colum to burn. It's quite possible to use a standard flat faced BP but you'll get unburned powder, the recessed plugs were designed for a complete burn.....

No more taking a shower with your smoke pole.