Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Re: Blackhorn 209 question

I keep reading about Blackhorn But still havent tried it, Finishing up Pyrodex RS Powder.
Will say it is a job cleaning but not that bad. I keep hearing accurcy with Blackhorn That I am really interested in.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

Well, I just bought my first pound of Blackhorn yesterday. I'm planning to go shoot it after work on Friday.

My first impressions upon looking at the powder were far different than black powder or any other substitute that I have used.

The grains are very uniform, and it looks just like a smokeless powder. There was also a smell of nitro to the powder, which was different from anything I've ever smelled that is put in a muzzle loader. I am excited to try it out!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

There's no reason, other than human error, that you wouldn't like it. I shoot nothing else.

Just remember, 120grs. VOLUME is a MAXIMUM CHARGE.

Have fun and report.....
Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Got it...120 grains volume = max load

I think I will start at 95 grains and move up to 105 from there. I'm not much of a max load kind of guy. I hope I can hit an accuracy node in there somewhere. I will report back with pictures when I'm done.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

I've been looling at one of the Knight Disc rifles.Has anyone got experience using BH in them. I've been shooting a MK85 for around 20 years and even though it is old it still shoots great.The BH is making me ready for a change.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md reloader View Post
I've been looling at one of the Knight Disc rifles.Has anyone got experience using BH in them. I've been shooting a MK85 for around 20 years and even though it is old it still shoots great.The BH is making me ready for a change.
You might want to check with the guys on Modernmuzzleloader, as many of them shoot and work on Knights. I'm not totally certain but, there may be a modification they've created to shoot BH.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Op asked about load development and no one really answered that for him. So here is what I did. After purchasing my TC Omega last year and much research on the web, I decided on Barnes TEZ 250gr for bullet and Blackhorn 209 for powder. I went to the range intent on trying different levels of powder from 85 to 120 grains (all measures were by VOLUME measured with TC clearview measure) in 5gr increments. To start I ran a couple patches spritzed with hoppes #9 down barrel to clean any residue from it then started shooting. I shot 3 times with 85gr waiting approx 5 minutes between each shot. Afterward I pulled breach plug and cleaned flash channel. Then spritzed a couple shots of hoppes down barrel and pulled a 50 cal boresnake down barrel twice. I then went to next powder measure and repeated three shots followed by boresnake. If you have never actually worked up a load, I can say it was pretty neat seeing groups go from about 3 inches with 85 gr down to 1 1/4 inch with 105 gr. Group size started opening back up at 110 gr and was about 2 1/2 inches at 115 so I never bothered trying 120. What I found most amazing was that it shot 1 1/4 in group from a shiny clean barrel. So much for having to shoot a squib load like so many guys talk about.

Also per question if it really cleans that easy, yes it does. The residue it leaves, at least with mine is almost kind of oily. But when I pull breach plug and run boresnake through with a couple squirts of hoppes #9, all that is left is a shiny clean barrel. Good Luck with whatever you decide on and Happy Shooting.