Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 new black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 AM

Re: Blackhorn 209 new black powder

Glad to hear you got some of the kinks worked out. Can't really complain about 3" at 200 yards, in my book. The deer won't know the difference, that's for sure.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

There is a primer situation with Blackhorn209. That said, there is a solution lol. They recommend a "shotgun" 209 primer, not a "muzzleloader" 209. The CCI 209s and the Winchester 209s are what seems to work well. I settled on the Winchesters, because they are easy for me to get. I had hangfires with some of the other primers, but none with the standard "shotgun" Winchester 209s.

Some of the ES strings on my chrony were 2 fps for 3 shots!!! I do weigh charges on my reloading scale tho. My bullet/sabot combo is the PR 240gr. Dead Center. Shoots about .4-.6" 3-shots @ 100yds.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM

I wanted to switch to BH209 for my Knight Disc. Talked with "Sam" at Knight and he says the the breech plug hole on my rifle is too small to reliable ignite the BH209 even with the hotter primers. He said some people are reaming out the hole, but didn't recommend that for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

Tom, the problem with opening up the breech plug hole is you get more blowback in to the primer pocket. Opened mine up to .036 (thirty six thousandths of an inch) and had problems getting the bolt open because the primers (Federal 209s) would stick due to burnt powder loading up the primer pocket. Sometimes had to tap the bolt handle with something to get it open.(forget that for hunting). The powder is good in concept/idea but IMHO not practical in the Knight with their breech plug design. Went back to pellets for now. I have an T/C Omega that shoots great with two pellets and a 285 gr. Barnes spitfire so use that for hunting. I bought the Knight LRH and tried probably 200 different combinations of blackhorn and sabots & could not get it to shoot as well as the Omega with pellets. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Helps a lot. Thanks, Smokepole. I kinda intuitively knew that for a given chamber pressure, the larger hole would allow more gas and ejecta to flow into the primer/bolt area. You saved me a lot of frustrating time at the range. I’m sold on the benefits of BH, based on articles I’ve read by Randy Wakeman and Toby Bridges at sites like chuckhawks.com. Thought G.E.G286 wrote an excellent article above…….agrees with all I had read.
Interesting that my fave load for the Knight is the 285 gr. Barnes Spitfire………with 110 gr. T7 FFFg and Winchester ML primers. Very difficult loading with the Barnes sabots. Impossible second shot without thorough cleaning. Just switched to the Harverster ribbed sabots (yellow for boat tail bullets) and am very pleased with results so far. Easy loading and a single, 1.3" group. (There is an interesting article on our home page about the hazards of reaching conclusions from a single three shot group. As I understood it, imagine you fired 100 "numbered" shots…….1 thru 100 … and then randomly picked three shots. Would those three shots be representative of the 100? There is a small risk that the three picked are the three in the center of the group of 100……………or three on the perimeter of the 100………..with vastly different conclusions reached about that load)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Tom, I can get three consecutive shots with two T7 pellets in my Omega but agree, they are TIGHT. I keep my sabots in my shirt pocket to keep the plastic warm and somewhat pliable. I am going out tomorrow and try the Black Mag XP powder in the Knight with the 285 gr Barnes & T7 primers. Will report the results.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Looking forward to seeing your results, Smokepoler. Do you have reason to believe that the BM will ignite more reliably than the BH in the Knight? Do you know if the breach plug hole is the same diameter in a Knight LRH as it is in the Disc Extreme? Only get a busy signal at Knight ....apparently they're swamped with calls about recalls on a certain model.

Can't seem to find as much on the web about BM........lots on BH. Is the BM readily available? One article ('08) implied it is in the development phase and may be only regionally available (a Michigan hunter's forum)

Tom