Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 new black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: Blackhorn 209 new black powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbear View Post
This is great infomation here. I have a couple of questions though. First off I have been using sm. rifle primers in the 209 adapters from Precision Rifle w/777 and wonder if these would ignite the Blackhorn powder. Second, I was going to try the new IMR white hots as I've read good things about it as well. Anyone on here tried this new IMR stuff?
No, you will need to use magnum primers in the 25ACP conversion, and even that may be iffy in cold weather. Some people claim to have gotten it to work, others claimed occasional failures to fire even with the magnum primers.

I shoot more ML than centerfire, out to 500 yds. I am still on 777 and have not tried BH209, though I would try it if I could find any. The price is insane if you shoot any real amount, and it can cause its own problems (very HARD deposits in the breechplug and flame channel).

Some say they can fire dozens of shots without swabbing, others report that this is not the case. Pick who you believe!

All in all, the only real advantages are a modest increase in velocity (only matters at 300+ yds), a reduction in swabbing, and supposedly less cleaning. It takes me all of 5 minutes to clean and oil my Omega, I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Westernpowders Inc. the makers of Blackhorn 209 " DO NOT" recommend using anything other than the 209 ingnition with this powder. It was designed around that ingnition system. My guess is that it needs the heat of a shot gun primer to ingnite it consistantly. You may run into delayed fires if you try use anything else. However, I would be curious to know how it would work myself if you used a LRM primer.

As far as the White Hots I personally haven't tried it as I see no need to. The BH 209 does everything I could ask for. One reason I wouldn't try it is from what I have seen they only make it in pellet form and I am not a big fan of pellets. Pellets create to many voids between the breech plug and the sabot or bullet. You just can't pack pellets tight enough to create the pressure needed for consistant accuracy. I look at it this way and ML barrel is like a shot gun shell as it needs to be packed. That is why wads are used in shot gun rounds so to take up the extra room that the powder doesn't. Not to mention you really are limited when it comes to fine tuning a load. Your pretty much stuck with 50 gr & 30 gr pellets. You could run 2 pellets for 100 gr or 3 for 150 gr or 2/50 gr & 1/30 gr for 130 gr. or 1/50 & 1/30 gr for 80 gr. thats it. I use 110 gr and wouldn't be able to get that using pellets. I have always gotten better accuracy with loose powder no matter what type I was using.

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply. I agree w/you on the loose powder form as that is what I've always used. I presently use 115gr 777 w/a 260gr 40cal. PR bullet and a sm. rifle primer in my Omega. Very accurate and very dependable in cold weather. Our ML season in ME is the first two weeks in Dec. and it can get VERY cold. Maybe they will eventually make this stuff in loose form but I won't hold my breath. That damn crud ring is what I want to eliminate and if Blackhorn and a std.209 primer is what it takes so be it. It must have a very high flash point.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

I tried it w/ the 25 ACP adapter and got hangfires. I went back to 209's.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Well I got hold of this stuff and I've only been to the range once but I'm impressed. Shot a 1 1/8" 3 shot group @ 100yds. using 115gr,260 gr PR 40 cal. somthing or other can't remember the name( short term mem. loss).I would like to find a bunch of those tubes that the pellets come in to carry pre measured charges to the range.Could use some shotgun hulls w/cork stoppers I guess. No crud ring, this is heaven sent.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbear View Post
Thanks for your reply. I agree w/you on the loose powder form as that is what I've always used. I presently use 115gr 777 w/a 260gr 40cal. PR bullet and a sm. rifle primer in my Omega. Very accurate and very dependable in cold weather. Our ML season in ME is the first two weeks in Dec. and it can get VERY cold. Maybe they will eventually make this stuff in loose form but I won't hold my breath. That damn crud ring is what I want to eliminate and if Blackhorn and a std.209 primer is what it takes so be it. It must have a very high flash point.
You use a 25ACP conversion with 777 and STILL get a crud ring in an Omega?? Granted, I still do have some residue down there, but as long as I work a spit patch down in short strokes I have never gotten the rod stuck on a crud ring with the ACP conversion. With the standard 209 plug and 777, the darn gun was almost un-shootable as I couldn't swab it without getting the jag stuck.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

I tried BH209 with CCI magnum primers in my Omega and Knight Long Range Hunter. Worked perfect with sub 1 inch @ 100 with the Omega but hangfired in the LRH with the plastic primer units. I did try the bare 209 primer adapter kit and saw no difference in the hangfire problem. I compared the breechplugs and there are differences in the end. The Omega has a round, convex, about 3/8 deep hole and the Knight has a quarter inch hole, and a large chamfer. From what I've read, the Knight was designed around Pyrodex and that design breechplug is sufficient for consistent ignition with that, triple seven and pellets. Not so with BH209. Too bad Knight is TU as they need to modify and test a different breechplug designed for the newer powder.