Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Blackhorn 209 new black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Re: Blackhorn 209 new black powder

Was just informed that the Blackhorn 209 is legal in our state. We will be posting a news release later today for that correction.

NM Dept. of Game & Fish

Public Information & Outreach Division

PO Box 25112

One Wildlife Way

Santa Fe, NM 87504

Tel: 505-476-8000

Fax: 505-476-8116

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:04 PM
To: ISPA, DGF
Subject: Muzzleloading Propellants

Hello folks,

I've received several phone calls and questions about your muzzleloading regulations that now prohibit Blackhorn 209. What is the basis for this? It seems that only Hodgdon owned propellants are allowed, as in Hodgdon Pyrodex "the smokeless muzzleloading propellant" and Goex blackpowder, Goex also owned by Hodgdon.

Why is discrimination shown by brand or propellant? This is a first. Please explain.

Pyrodex was sold as smokeless for years.

-- Randy Wakeman
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRG View Post
Let me just say that powder is not the entire answer to accuracy with a ML. Bullet & sabot are another part of the equation!

Try a boat tail bullet / polimere tipped "250 gr Barnes TMZ" throw away their sabot and get yourself the Harvester "high pressure" crushed rib sabot "Yellow" designed for boat tail bullets. They are $8.00 for a pack of 50.

Also use a spin jag to load the bullet. It will allow the sabot to rifle it's self a create a better seal for proper pressure.

I shoot 110 grains BH 209 and have never looked back! My Prohunter will cut holes all day at 100 yards and hold 2" or less groups at 200 yards.

Make sure you load and clean the same exact way each time and you will tighten up your groups!

Also, forget about using pellets and use loose powder only. You can't pack pellets nearly a tight as loose powder. It's all about pressures! To many voids with pellets plus you have no control over tuning your powder charge with pellets. Think about it!

WRG
WRG

Hot dang.....I gotta get me some of that 'loose powder' cuz apparently these Triple 7 Magnum pellets I'm shooting aren't worth a hoot 'n hell! Just before noon this day I had made me a false muzzle for my ML so I went up on my range to try it out and I fired these 3 shots shown below from 300 yards. Two rounds hit just a tat left of the 1.5" bolt head I've got holding these plates onto the mainframe and without a doubt iffen I change over to that 'loose powder'.....I'll be able to wear that bolt head out even more so than I do now shooting these Triple 7 pellets! Naw.....to hell with these loose pellets....gotta get me some of that loose powder....which I already have in abundance to use in my BPCR stuff....so I guess I'll just krap-can these pellets. But I'm just wondering if that 'loose powder' is gonna give me those 6" 5 shot groups from 600 yards I've been getting with these here sorry ole Triple 7 stuff?? Hmmmm....gonna have to check that out I guess afore I pitch these pellets!!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=Sharpsman;454308]WRG

Hot dang.....I gotta get me some of that 'loose powder' cuz apparently these Triple 7 Magnum pellets I'm shooting aren't worth a hoot 'n hell! Just before noon this day I had made me a false muzzle for my ML so I went up on my range to try it out and I fired these 3 shots shown below from 300 yards. Two rounds hit just a tat left of the 1.5" bolt head I've got holding these plates onto the mainframe and without a doubt iffen I change over to that 'loose powder'.....I'll be able to wear that bolt head out even more so than I do now shooting these Triple 7 pellets! Naw.....to hell with these loose pellets....gotta get me some of that loose powder....which I already have in abundance to use in my BPCR stuff....so I guess I'll just krap-can these pellets. But I'm just wondering if that 'loose powder' is gonna give me those 6" 5 shot groups from 600 yards I've been getting with these here sorry ole Triple 7 stuff?? Hmmmm....gonna have to check that out I guess afore I pitch these pellets!![QUOTE]

Sounds a little sarcastic lol.

Every gun is an individual, and should be treated as such. If you got something that shoots, stay with it. I guess if I were you, I'd probably stay with pellets too .
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=bowhunthard;455514][QUOTE=Sharpsman;454308]WRG

Hot dang.....I gotta get me some of that 'loose powder' cuz apparently these Triple 7 Magnum pellets I'm shooting aren't worth a hoot 'n hell! Just before noon this day I had made me a false muzzle for my ML so I went up on my range to try it out and I fired these 3 shots shown below from 300 yards. Two rounds hit just a tat left of the 1.5" bolt head I've got holding these plates onto the mainframe and without a doubt iffen I change over to that 'loose powder'.....I'll be able to wear that bolt head out even more so than I do now shooting these Triple 7 pellets! Naw.....to hell with these loose pellets....gotta get me some of that loose powder....which I already have in abundance to use in my BPCR stuff....so I guess I'll just krap-can these pellets. But I'm just wondering if that 'loose powder' is gonna give me those 6" 5 shot groups from 600 yards I've been getting with these here sorry ole Triple 7 stuff?? Hmmmm....gonna have to check that out I guess afore I pitch these pellets!!
Quote:

Sounds a little sarcastic lol.

Every gun is an individual, and should be treated as such. If you got something that shoots, stay with it. I guess if I were you, I'd probably stay with pellets too .
bowhunthard

"Sounds a little sarcastic lol."

Possibly so! Each and every rifle....and individual is an entity onto itself....and what possibly won't work for one individual may work exceedingly well for another individual! The only things that are absolute.....are the IRON-CLAD RULES OF MARKSMANSHIP......which are unyielding in their nature which if not applied always result in negative results for the shooter!! Over the previous 20 or so years I've shot cases upon cases of loose black powder shooting it through my M1874 Sharps rifles; used it in many different makes of muzzle-loaders with varying degrees of success but oft times.....lousy success! Black powder cartridge rifles are extremely particular about finding a load that each one likes...so I'm no stranger to the use of 'loose' black powder. With that being said....I have never found any combination of loads that shoot as well as this particular ML that I am using pellets with!

Happy New Year....in spite of the IDIOT in the White House!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 01-03-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Additional info added!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM

I just started using BH209 in my CVA Accura and I came accross a article that says using wads under conicals improves accuracy. Any experience with this, pro or con?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

first time using BH209 was today. with it being 100 out and 10 mph wind my shotting time was not long. with a stock vortek and low drag 250 grain hornady and 120gr of BH209.
At 100' 3 shot egg shap hole. almost one holed.3" high 1" right
at 200' was 5" high and 2" out. still a 1" group
at 300' only shoot twice. never hit paper. have no idea where they went.
target was the 18"x18"? orange grid
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig25 View Post
first time using BH209 was today. with it being 100 out and 10 mph wind my shotting time was not long. with a stock vortek and low drag 250 grain hornady and 120gr of BH209.
At 100' 3 shot egg shap hole. almost one holed.3" high 1" right
at 200' was 5" high and 2" out. still a 1" group
at 300' only shoot twice. never hit paper. have no idea where they went.
target was the 18"x18"? orange grid
5" high and you're OVER SHOOTING the target by the time it gets to 100 yards.

Keep it simple, get the rifle 1" high at 50 yards and it should be close to dead on. Right now, its just sighted in way to high. That might be good for 200 yards though!