Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

accurate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM

Re: accurate

i wanted a savage till i saw what my shooting partner is going thru w/ a new savage ml. if you live close to a place to shoot and have time to sort out what the rifle likes to shoot.. have at. i'll stick w/ my knight .50 cal disc rifle. it shoots better than anything i've seen..but again a pia to clean..if you can find a used knight disc rifle that has been cleaned properly & can live w/ cleaning it after each use..you can't go wrong w/ knight..this thing shoot so good out of the box.i took the target back to the gun shop to show how it shot & was told that all of the shot that way.this one has a green mt. barrel that really shoots. buy the way..it has never failed to fire.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokepoler View Post
ATH, what loads did you use in the Omega? I haven't tried the 200 shockwave and have been having good luck with the 285 Barnes TMZs. TIA, SP
My standard load for the last 6 or 7 years, basically since the 200SW was introduced, has been the 200SW with 110gr ffG 777 powder (2050 fps). The reason for this charge is because groups open up significantly even at 115gr. I shot this out to 400 yds at targets and my longest kill was 338 yds (tactical scope with dial-up, calm wind). Getting very low on energy, complete pass-thru but nervous to shoot game past 350 yds.

This year I worked up the 325gr .458 FTX, 1950fps with 135gr ffG 777. Virtually duplicates the trajectory of my 200SW load through 400yds with significantly less wind drift, then is superior past that distance with double the energy. Shot to 500 yds one time, 800yd group mostly wind spread (vertical dispersion only 2-3").

There is some controversy as to how the FTX bullets perform at muzzleloader velocities; this is especially relevant when using them at the ranges I typically shoot across wide open fields in the midwest. Rumor is they are harder lead than the SW/SST and don't expand well. I don't buy rumors, I test them for myself. There is not a lot of hard facts as they were just released after most hunting seasons closed last year. I'll try them myself this year and report on performance.